⇞ princess ⇞

For three days I couldn't sleep. I would drift off but then I would wake up in cold sweat. I knew a day would come when my good luck would come to an end. When the slaves were brought to Udairis, some of the girls I knew were sold off to vile men who probably wanted them just to satisfy their lust.

I and one other girl were lucky enough or should I say long traveling in the sun had caused big rashes over my face and body so no one was buying me scared that I might have a fatal contagious disease. Guards brought me over to the local physician from where I was sent to the palace and started as a helper in the kitchen.

But now the time has ended and I was being sent to hell. And since no one ever saw the Princess, I can easily be her. The thought of going into enemy home terrified me. If someone murdered my family and branded them, traitors, I would hate them with the core of my heart. And even though I was not violent I would still want to kill them.

Someone as strong as a fire master will burn me alive and heal me daily to burn me again. The punishment that would last forever was making me nauseous.

The slow chirping of birds indicated that the day has arrived. I got up and felt my leg shake underneath me. I felt dizzy and lack of sleep was making my head pound. I started with my daily chores realizing this was the last day I was with the Princess. I rushed down to get her some flowers from the garden. I even asked Fernett for some extra fresh bread for Princess who was only sent healthy food to maintain her petite form as Kingdom's Princess even when she was allowed to meet no one.

I had my heart clenched and a constant lump in my throat. I carried out all the task that I did but I smiled less, my hands were cold and trembling and I assumed Princess saw that because kept giving me looks of concern.

"Zephora, is something wrong?" She asked for the fifth time and I gave the same reply ." Nothing, I am fine."

I wish I was.

She didn't prod me further and nodded knowing well enough that I was lying.

I read the books but couldn't get past a single page my mind on panic mode. My eyes watered on its own accord as I witnessed the setting sun in the sky. The pink hue was closer to reddish as if it was a premonition of coming bloodshed and it made my heart tremble.

I watched with my own eyes as the sun sank somewhere leaving the light behind it that would soon fade. But before that could happen, there was a knock on the door. My heart stopped and I froze even though it was my job to open the door. The knock repeated and I dragged myself to the door and opened it with a creak I never noticed before like my mind was oversensitive to things.

"King awaits." One of the guards said in a grim tone and I nodded.

Princess was right behind me so I decided to make the goodbye quick.

"One moment please, let me get my things." The thing was an excuse, I barely had any.

One comb, one handkerchief, one brooch which apparently was part of my lost memories and two diaries with sketches and poems in them. Besides that, I had two pair of clothing. One I was wearing and the other was still drying up after a wash.

"What is happening?" Princess asked.

"I hope we meet again, for the times we have been here I considered you my friend," I said and tears threatened to spill.

"You are not making sense Zephora, where are you going?" She asked, concern evident in her eyes for me and I was grateful for that.

"Mission of death?" I said and she gasped out loud.

"I will not allow this." She said and took large steps towards the guards.

But I stopped her, she didn't even know the full reason and yet she was ready to come to my aid.