⇞ medicine for pain ⇞

There was a time when Nazereth avoided me but now I was trying to do the same. I was emotionally hurt and yet I didn't want him to see me like this, to hurt him and put him in even more dilemma that he was.  So I mostly walked through the gardens, watched the soldier practicing realizing I needed to learn some self-defense in case I decided to run like Princess Ermeline.

Or I would stay in the kitchen with the cook and other maids who would tell me stories and gossips around the palace and outside or pretend to sleep.

I would make dinner sometime and baked goods just to relax.

Everything was going fine till the day for the Market Gathering happened. Last year I practically forced him to buy me an anklet. This year I was in no mood to walk with him because that would make my heart ache more and also I did not want to be close and feel his emotions. I was working hard to learn to control it.

The festive mood was spreading contagiously among the palace residents and all the maids talked about it. Since I was new to it last year and I had barely any friends I didn't know much but now most of the servants and guards treated me well so they were sharing their plans for the day.

"Will this be okay?" Ciara pulled out another gown.

I am not going, I wanted to tell her but I didn't.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door and I immediately slipped inside cover pretending to sleep.

Ciara opened the door and I heard Nazereth's voice," Is Queen okay?"

He sounded concerned and I felt a little guilty.

"She is asleep." Ciara lied for me.

"Tell her to please join me for the market gathering today. Also, we will be having guests tomorrow for the second day of the festival." He instructed.

"I will do that, Your Highness," Ciara said and Nazereth walked away finally and I inhaled sharply.

"Now please get up and get ready. Also please inform about the guests to the King." Ciara said and as much as she cared for me, she was bound to be loyal to the King of Udairis.

I also came to know about a royal guard who was indeed another spy from Udairis who will be my courier in this case. It disgusted me how unsafe Nazereth was. No wonder he hated me and mistrusted everyone so much.

"I will do that," I said grabbing a paper and brush.

Hiding it subtly from Ciara I wrote down a false spy message telling the King about Nazereth regularly visiting someone in the forest.

"Let me deliver it to him."

"No, I will do it myself." I snapped and Ciara seemed a little surprised.

"It's stress." I lied which thankfully Ciara didn't notice.

I got ready without much zeal and constant heartache. I walked down to find the King waiting for me and my ache intensified on seeing him after a while. He was as handsome as ever, standing tall and looking unreal. His sharp features were accentuated in the moonlight streaming in through the window. And for some reason, my gaze lingered a little longer on his lips.

I coughed to announce myself and he turned.

I avoided looking into his eyes afraid that I might share what was in my heart all my worries, fear, insecurities and the pain. I focused solely on keeping myself closed to his emotions as he requested.

He extended his hand for me to hold and I was severely tempted.

I hate being reminded that you are his daughter.