⇞ stronger ⇞

Thud. Thud. Thud.

My heart was the only thing I could focus on as I waited for something drastic to happen but it didn't. Nazereth opened the door, he barely looked at me as I entered to see the family huddled together sobbing and some trying to be strong for the weak ones.

Darren's caretaker was lying on the bed, her face pale as if she was already dead. My eyes focused on her abdomen that rose and fell in a rhythm and I sighed in relief.

But more relief I felt was at the fact that Nazereth didn't recognize me. I should have been disappointed but I was not. I realized I was not ready to face him and talk to him. If I did my heart would break even more. I can't handle anymore hate and he also belonged to someone else now, someone he needed and was not burdened with.

The enchantment on the veil worked well and morel was out of sight. My long-sleeved dress hid my amulet. I checked the women's pulse which was unstable.

"How is she?" Nazereth ask inches away from me. 

My heart lurched as I felt the amount of agony he emitted. I gasped audibly and backed away. It surprised me how intense his emotions were for me compared to others I felt. Surprised at my gesture he backed away. 

What? Why are you in pain now?

I was gone now, his revenge plan was well on way. What pained him this much now?

Was it his friend who looked distraught on the sickness of his caretaker?

"What?" He asked at my abrupt gesture.

"Umm...I have visited many patients. You shouldn't be this close since it's contagious." I lied looking away from him and his eyes.

Fireflies.

My eyes were already watering at the thought.

He nodded but didn't move further away.

I closed my eyes trying not to fall in darkness and away from his pain and his emotions that crashed on me like waves of a storm. If I needed to take away this women's pain I needed Nazereth away from me. His pain was the one that made me weak.

"I suggest males need to leave, I have to apply someone medicine to relieve her of pain." I lied wondered how I sounded to him through the enchantment veil.

Was there nothing recognizable about me or did he completely forget about me?

Thankfully they all left. I sat down and let my body take more pain and let the tears fall down my eyes in front of the unconscious woman before me. I sobbed hard as I let the feeling sink in of seeing him after more than two months. He was as aching handsome as ever, even his mere form making my heart weak. If he didn't hurt me this bad I would have sought comfort in his warm embrace.

I would let him heel me, one thing I can't do myself. I saw a little color return to the woman's face as I absorbed pain from her. And then I just sat there getting myself together so that I don't break down in front of the man I came to love so dearly. I would be stronger and behave like I don't know. It was he who pushed me away and wanted to throw me in the dungeon.

He can't trust me and I have to learn to live a life without love.

"You can come in now," I called out wiping my tears.

Before leaving  I wanted to just check if those both royals had the antidote, I think they should because of the Air Kingdom now being an alias and healers at the Air Kingdom were unbeatable. 

"Are you two fine?" I asked as they entered along with two other family members of the caretaker.

"I am but I am not sure about him," Darren said pointing at Nazereth.