⇞ monster ⇞

"You will forget me, you will forget everything about being an Empath." My mother looked at me chanted it like a spell.

And something inside me was coiling in pain like I didn't want to forget.

She gently caressed my head as tears rushed down her eyes.

"You will survive, I know you will. You are good and brave." She said not sounding convinced at all.

Behind her everything burned, fire licked the sky as the tallest turret on the palace was engulfed by flames.  My home was burning and I know what would follow, my mother would run with me till we were surrounded by soldiers, a lot of soldiers.

And so we ran, as she couldn't bear to leave me alone.

But we all know we can't run forever. 

I woke up shrieking to the pain of falling from the hill as my mother ran in another direction to create a distraction.

I could still smell the smoke and the fire, the death around me as I woke up.

"What is wrong?" Nazereth looked at me with his concerned filled eyes.

"Nightmare," I said breathing heavily.

"Once we get back home, I will share with you my secret hot cocoa recipe." He said with a small smile.

There was something different about him, his eyes glowed brighter, the etched frown was missing and he was talking about some recipe.

"Where are we?" I asked in case we were about to die and he was being kind to me.

"Somewhere in the sea, this ship will stop when it reached the destination. It's enchanted that way." Nazereth answered.

If we die, I wouldn't be able to cook for him or use any methods, in general, to make him like me if not love. Like was possible I guess because he did say in some sense he would die if I die.

I nodded. I was curious about how he was feeling and it was wonderful how I can just sit there and sense his emotions, I was this strong when it came to him. But it made me wonder how I never felt any strong empath emotions before I met him. For some reason, my power that was locked, unlocked on meeting him.

At the moment he had a dull ache in his heart, a conflict about something but no fear for the mission. It was wonderful to see him here with a soft look on his face, somehow my calm was related to how he felt.

"Who was the girl on the Syrion's ship?" He asked surprising me.

"Why?" I asked slightly worried if Ermeline gave out some royal vibes while I didn't.

"She held the look of endearment in her eyes for you." He said as he was observant like always.

"Maybe because I am the Queen of Krobet," I said avoiding looking at him.

"And I can sense power from her." He said and my heart slumped.

"And from me?" I asked sounding a little miserable.

He turned towards me and gave me his intense stare.

"I sense power, very strong power since the day we met that is why I asked if you knew some water magic. But your power is not that kind Ermeline, she has or anyone for that matter. Their power ticks my senses in self-defense while yours-" he paused unsure if he should share," Yours bring calm."

Subconsciously a smile formed on my face.

Brings calm.

Suddenly the ship started shaking as if waves were growing violent.