⇞ trials ⇞

Cries, cries filled with sorrow and pain. That was the first thing I heard when I woke up in the cave. It was dark and it was cold and something sinister lurked around. From a far distance, I could hear weeping and cries of mercy and it was haunting me to the core.

It felt like someone was squeezing my heart in their palm. But then I realized my body was not aching and I was not feeling the usual signs of death I was been feeling lately. 

This was a dream or maybe this was a trial.

And Nazereth was not around me.

Now the panic built inside me and I got up. The cries were searing through my ears and making my brain numb with pain. 

Who were they and why were they crying with so much grief?

I started moving forward in the darkness of the cave hoping to hear a voice or just seeing some fireflies but it was just silence and cold. I had no idea what this trial was and if I could move out of this or if I had to kill someone or defeat an evil monster.

Suddenly the sound of footsteps echoed through the cave and I stopped walking. A woman came running with a child in her hand. I hoped to help her or even talked to her but she just ran passing me as if I was not visible to her.

"Hello," I yelled to get her attention but she didn't stop.

Soon more footsteps followed from behind. And soldiers followed her with weapons.

Was this my trial? To help the women and the child?

But the cries of people grew louder and sharper in my ear. It was giving a throbbing ache in my head.

"What am I suppose to do?" I yelled into nothingness.

And the cave started shaking, next thing I knew I was standing in a large magnificent hall and a King was sitting on the throne, a King I have never seen but was still remarkably familiar, especially his eyes.

"Where is she?" He bellowed.

"Not in her room." A soldier answered.

"Does she not trust me?" He yelled.

"There have been attacks on her while you were gone for the battle."

King sighed looking distraught and angry.

"And the Soulceivers?" King asked.

"Are sure about your daughter." Another soldier answered.

"The news has already spread, no one will give her support and home," King said exasperatedly.

"King of Udairis  is halfway here to attack."

"Will Krobet help?" King said hopefully.

"Sire, the princess is first Empath born in a millennium and stories about the last one is not pleasant. Since she can feel all the pain and ache in the world she might break and turn into someone very destructive with her power of the spirit realm to control souls." King's advisor said.

And then everything came crashing down as I realized why the man's eyes in front of me were so familiar, he had the exact same eyes as me. And the similar features that made me tremble at the thought if I was the one soldier mentioned If I was the one who felt all the emotions if I was the Empath after a Millenium. Who was I?

"Udairis can't bring us any harm, we are after all strongest of the Kingdoms," King said lightly.

"But they bring reinforcement sire and since the Princess was born our Kingdom is considered a threat, everyone is supporting them."