⇞trouble ⇞

I looked outside the window, hoping to see him tonight. The night after market Nazereth went silent and left for some secret mission of his. I was never curious about them but this time I was worried. For some reason, the little anklet gave me peace. I wanted to know if he was okay. I wanted to know he was still alive and holding on the little good in him.

But the days passed. Neither anyone from Udairis came nor the King. I was starting to feel lonely and I could barely sleep. Vivid dreams would wake me up thrashing at the night and I would sit near the door where I could hear the dead princess sing.

Still, it was another night I stood at the window waiting for someone to arrive.

The sound of horse hooves made my heart leap and I looked carefully at a hooded figure riding to the gates. I saw the guards stop him and then he gave them a recognition badge. The gates opened with and the rider came in.

I rushed down to hall to see if it was the King but from the height and stance I was kind of sure that It was someone else.

My feet stopped in the path as the stranger rushed to the direction where the royal physician stayed. After few minutes he came out with the physician I came to care for. He would keep me company from time to time and taught me things about medicines and how he excelled in creating cure out of all elements.

"Stop." I gathered courage because I can't let an intruder just walk away with anything.

With cold hands and shaking feet I reached down and felt stupid for having no weapon on me.

"You are the new Queen?" The stranger said pulled his hood down.

He was the man I saw in the market and one I saw in the dream with Nazereth.

"Yes, and may I know what is your business," I asked with false bravery.

His eyes narrowed and his gaze held coldness it didn't have before.

"You are Princess of Udairis, are you not?" He confirmed and I knew where this will lead.

"I am the Queen here and you are on my turf," I said my palms clutched into fists.

He chuckled darkly.

"I didn't know it was you in the market or you would have not lived." He said gritting his teeth together.

The amount of hate I had to endure just because I was pretending to be Princess, I wished that Princess herself was actually safe in her tower.

"What is your business here or do you need me to call the guards?" I asked again.

"Child, he is a dear friend and King is in need of help." Myron finally said.

"What is wrong?" I asked fearing making me dizzy.

"You stay here, I will go help him."

"No, I will come along." I insisted and saw the man in the hood glare at me.

His glare was not even half effective because his eyes were a warm brown.

I avoided the glare and called for Ciara.

"He is my husband and I will come along," I stated defiantly surprised at my self because as a slave I was trained never to speak up.

"Do you even know why he married you?" The man asked mocking me.

"Whatever the reason, he is my husband and he is my responsibility." I retorted.

He looked surprised at my words.

"Come along." Myron said finally," You might help him more than me."

After a long time, I was leaving the Kingdom but the entire thrill was replaced by worry.

➻➻➻

Myron, Darren(who was the Prince of the Earth Kingdom and brother of woman Nazereth loved), me and Ciara rode continuously for two days. Every part of my body was aching and the weather was so cold that it made my teeth chatter. Myron gave me syrup and tonic to keep me warm but I was not really helping.

Darren was frustrating me and didn't even tell me what was wrong with the King and every bad thought nagged my mind.

After two days of travel, we slowed down near in front of a deep valley in between. The only way to cross it was to fly over that or die and fall.

"How did he get there? " I asked not expecting a reply.

"The Fiends of the valley," Darren answered.

"Fiends?" I asked surprised to hear such a word. I remembering seeing them in a book Princess read.

"Yes, the traitors who were sealed in this valley for being a bloodthirsty monster and caught by the fire King. They created their own barriers and no one can cross the path from this valley in between but Azer did and now he hasn't come back from that land." He explained mostly for Myron's sake.

So we were here to just sit and wait and see if he was alive or if injured then Myron can help. It worsened my worries and I felt like crying out loud in frustration.

My heart thudded uncomfortably in my chest now. Azer, he called him Azer. It was a nice nickname he had for his friend.

I wanted to help though, I wanted to do something. I can't just sit and wait for Nazereth's dead body to come. I looked at the valley and its depth and then the distance between one hill and another. It was suicidal to jump across.

I felt like I needed a dragon just then.

I wished that it maybe we could just fly over or maybe if I knew how King crossed this.

"A path of fire?" Myron's voice broke my thought process.

"Yes, he is trying all the ways to hurt himself. He has lost all good parts of him and he is pushing me away." Even though Darren had a cold hatred filled vibes towards me he seemed caring for his friend.

"I have seen but I think there is still hope," Myron said.

Fireflies, the bet between us.

I needed to save him and I needed a dragon.

"Can we get a dragon?": I asked hoping they would say yes.

But Myron looked mildly amused while Darren looked outright annoyed.

"There are no dragons in this part of the land, we are far away from fire Kingdom."

Stupid people, they should get one then.

"And no one else but a Fire Master can ride a dragon," Darren added maybe judging my annoyed expression.

Suddenly I heard a loud flap of wings almost as loud as thunder and I locked around shocked in fear. A dragon flew over us but It was translucent.

"You said there were no dragons," I said almost mocking Darren.

To which both Myron and Darren looked shocked.

"What are you talking about?" They said.

"The dragon, can't you two see?" I asked and after a moment I realized they can't see it, they can't see the dragon."

Just like the voices and noises, I was not seeing ghosts, this was a ghost of the dragon. It circled around and landed in front of me.

I know they were staring at me and my weird stance when I came forward and carefully stretched my hands out to touch the dragon. As my hand touched the cold spirit of dragon my heart leaped to my throat as the dragon roared submitting to my touch.

➻➻➻

Surprise shorter chapter update. I have important test going on so I might be slow or absent from a little while. But I will not completely be gone. You might get a chapter update throughout the week. 

Cursebreaker II will be starting as soon as exams end that would be the 16th of October.

Till then share your thoughts :)