⇞ puppet strings ⇞

"What is it?" I snapped from the feeling creeping around me from Clarence.

"What kind of power do you have and why do you have it?" He asked with an unpleasant look.

"Why, do you have the right to kill people?" I said in frustration and then felt immediate guilt.

But he deserved it. Why was he judging me when all he did was being dragged like a puppet by his father? Did I not just stopped the princess they couldn't even find, the all-powerful warriors of each Kingdom?

"You made enemies with another Kingdom and now you are dragging the princess to attack another Kingdom?" Clarence was sounding more disapproving with passing second.

The shock that registered on Jillian's face...well...kind of hurtful. But he should see how I saved his kingdom from completed destruction and how I didn't even cause a little harm otherwise, just took his sister who for deserved it for her drastic action. And she came on her accord once I requested kindly.

It will take time for these obnoxious people to realise that they are being controlled by me.

"I saved a Kingdom and taking Princess back to her home to avenge injustice done to her. Your Kingdom as you say would be safe, I can't say the same about your father." I retorted.

"What happened to you Queen?" He mumbled and I felt the strong urge to grab his neck and make him see sense.

Nothing has changed, I am just a little braver. Was it so bad?

Nazereth was following us from behind, keeping a close eye on Ermeline. But I doubted she would run away seeing this was her great opportunity to get revenge on her father.

The rest of the journey back to Udairis was an awkward silence and Clarence pretended to sleep. No guards stopped us because for them I was the princess and he was the prince of Udairis. When we were outside the iron gates of courtyard,  Ermeline jumped down excited to be back home.

Clarence didn't stop her as she marched to the palace.

"There is a caged wild bird in the carriage put her in dungeon for now." She ordered the guards who seemed unsure why they should take orders from this woman.

Clarence gave a subtle nod and they obliged.

And yet when Nazereth walked forward, the fear in the eyes of people was so eminent. Only one who didn't  fear him was Ermeline at the moment, and that maybe because she lacked a natural soul. His whole persona was surrounded by darkness and agitation as it did when we were here. I wanted to go and hold his hand and be his shield so that he feels at ease.

But for now I wanted to be brave for him. I needed to set things right and in place so less people die.

"I need to mobilise the army in case Air Kingdom feels a little offended." Clarence said almost if giving an excuse to leave.

"I assume you did safeguard your Kingdom because your wife didn't leave a very good impression." He addressed Nazereth surprisingly not looking me in the eyes.

Good impression, I made them forget. I did not leave any impression.

"Krobet is safeguarded." He said.

"By fiends and your army. I know but it would be better to alert other friends you might have. With kind of healers they have its almost impossible to defeat them. Trust me I am talking from experience." Clarence said in a tired tone.

And then he left.

Ermeline was already on the palace doors when we caught up with her.

"Greetings, dear father." She said in a dangerous tone.