⇞ protective ⇞

I have never had such a vivid dream in my life and when I woke up I realize it was not a dream. It was a memory. And I was still holding Nazereth's hand who was sleeping. peacefully on the chair. He was not the King at the moment, he was just a man who was drowning in pain and yet coming back to breathe just because he wanted revenge.

He was dreaming about Dalia, the woman he loved. And through the dream, I saw how passionate of a lover he was, he cared for her and made her feel special. He was a gentleman with a soft side to him that made Dalia fall harder for this man in front of me whose heart was too tightly closed now.

A tear escaped my eyes making me realized that it bothered me more than it should that no one will ever see his man in love side. He woke up with a stir and opened his eyes slowly finding mine.

"What's wrong?" He asked and I realized my tears would be prominently visible to him.

"Nothing," I said with a small smile.

His eyes then landed on the hand he was holding and he carefully let go making me heartache even more.

"You just saw my dream didn't you?" He asked and the panic made me speechless.

"You can actually see through dreams and memories?" He sounded awed even now.

"Only yours."

He nodded at my words.

"I didn't mean to invade, it just happens." I hurriedly added.

"So you actually meant when you said you can understand my pain." He said and I nodded slowly.

"Does your father know?"

"Only you," I said and saw a barely-there tug of his lips in a smile.

"The Earth princess is beautiful by the way," I added taking the risk.

His gaze hardened but he relaxed quickly.

"She is, isn't she?  She died just because she loved me else she would have stayed safe. She took my heart with her." He said and I felt a sob build in my throat.

So I just nodded like a fool.

"Have you ever been in love Ermeline?" He asked.

Love? The concept was foreign for someone surviving through life.

"I was locked ina tower and famous for being a crazy person, love was something not on my list."

"So you don't how it feels." He said in a tired tone.

But I did, the small emotions and sometimes the heavy crashing emotions I felt for him was close to love. I have never cared for someone's well being but I dare not say that out loud and make me hate him.

"And now you are married to someone like me." He said with a tone of sympathy.

"Maybe it was a chance God gave me to find love," I said it in the moment realizing the gravity of my words.

I looked away growing short of breath and slightly panicked.

What did I just say?

He was silent at my words and I couldn't look at him to see his expression.

"I am only capable of hate now Ermeline." He said in softest tone I have ever heard him use.

I didn't let myself tear up.

"Does it look like I care?" I said in a small tone.

"You will be tormented for the rest of your life." He warned me of being stupid.