⇞ the hunt ⇞

"You are still not allowed to see him." The guards outside King's room said.

It was the fourth day since I had a painful encounter with him, as much as he hated me I couldn't bring myself to hate him that much. For some reason, I was empathetic more than I should be, more than humans should be normally.

"Can you give him this soup then?" I said trying to make him eat something healthy with his condition in mind.

The guard obliged me by taking the tray from me and I left knowing too well that it will be thrown out like before.

I was not giving up just yet, for good or for worse we both were married and he was my husband in the name. Also as a human, his pain was overwhelming I wanted to reduce some of it. Also, I had months of my life left before poison started taking effect. His torture was almost nothing now since I don't have to bear it for long.

And just like that a week passed.

Like a miracle on the seventh day of my visit, the door opened surprising even the guards.

"Come in." He said in a gruff tone and I followed.

He closed the door behind us and sat down. His shirt was half open and he looked as if he hasn't slept properly for days. I averted my gaze for some reason heat rising in my cheeks on his half-nude state.

He, on the other hand, was not bothered and sat down taking the tray from my hand.

"Write a reply letter." He said and I was surprised at his words.

"What?"

"A letter Ermeline, are you deaf?" He said rather harshly not even surprising me with this tone.

"To whom?"

"A reply to the one you got since I didn't let you sent the old one. Write one now and I will tell you what you need to write in it." 

I sighed and nodded.

"And what are your cheeks so red for?" He asked in an annoyed tone.

"K-kitchen, cooking." I fumbled like a fool.

"Are you really a Princess?" He asked mocking me.

"Yes," I said in a defensive tone realizing that it was an overdramatic response.

"You like doing chores too much."

I didn't open my mouth afraid that I will make more mistakes.

"You can go now." He said, the food still left untouched.

"How are your injuries?" I managed to ask, gathering courage.

His eyes shot up to me in surprise.

"I am not dying Ermeline, don't rejoice too much."

Of course, he took my words in the wrong sense.

"You need to eat to recover." I changed the matter.

"I will not be poisoned to death by the enemy's daughter." He snapped.

I sighed yet again and walked closer to his table. I picked up the freshly baked tea cake and took a bite.

I chewed slowly and stood there taking him by a little surprise.

"Your turn," I said in a small tone.

"Come closer." He said, so I did.

His head bent down and he took a bite from the piece in my hand, the one I took a bite from.

I audibly gasped at his gesture, heat rushing to my cheeks again.

He looked up as he chewed the cake slowly, "It's not bad."