⇞ ceremony ⇞

I got the extravagant wedding because I was the Princess of the nation. Guests poured in, delicacies were prepared and everyone was happy for the princess who was kept hidden for so long. They stared at me with curiosity if I was really insane or really ugly as rumors went around.

I was sitting with a dress twice as heavy as me, my head aching and heart clenched tight with the afterthought of what will happen. 

"Come," Ciara said and I got up from the chair I was sitting in waiting for the sound of the horn.

"Is Prince already there?" I asked feeling unpleasant just thinking about his glare. 

There was no doubt that he was extremely good looking but the coldness in his words and the hate in his eyes was overpowering everything. All the stories I heard about him seemed like a lie right now.

I walked slowly in a silk and net sapphire blue gown. The crown on my head was heavy and everything that I was wearing felt like a trap, a chain binding my soul and body to the altar of sacrifice.

I noticed Drian among the guards who was pleading with his eyes for me to run away but I just gave him a subtle smile of sadness and walked forward.

"Walk like a Princess." Ciara hissed at me and I straightened my back and looked up as bravely as I could manage.

But then I saw him, the Prince. He looked bored of this whole thing and sat there staring at the gathered crowd with eyes of a predator. His face was grim and his jaw was ticking. My eyes found a scar on his neck, prominent against his pale skin now that I had the nerve to observe me. And just he could feel my stare on him, his daunting eyes turned to me.

The hate in his eyes intensified and I blinked wanting to break the gaze I was trapped in.

Goosebumps rose all over me as I walked closer to him.

I sat down on a small throne next to the Prince trying to keep my trembling in check.

Once I was seated, the ceremony began. But I was too worried sick to enjoy any of that. Now and then I would take a peek at the Prince who was merely tolerating this and sat through the whole thing as if any moment he would burn the place down. Our seats were close enough with just a golden handle in between so I was mostly frozen and remembering to breathe.

While he was behaving like I didn't exist. Being a slave I was used to this behavior and yet I didn't know how to behave as a Princess. I tried to open my mouth and talk but I couldn't bring myself to do that.

"You are allowed to move a muscle...what was your name again?" He said in an agitated tone.

"Ermeline," I answered in a small voice.

"Yes, at least you can calm down in front of the audience, you might not like your life once we get to my Kingdom." He warned.

My life was never good, it just got better for a while.

So I decided to open my mouth and not act like a coward human.

"So you can control fire without a staff?" I asked the first thing in my head and he frowned as he turned to look at me.

I blinked and tried not to stare at his face which was crafted to perfection, light stubble on his sharp jawline. 

"Are you not scared of me?" He asked in a gruff tone.

I gulped at the spine chilling glare, "Terrified," I whispered realizing I said it out loud.

"Then keep your mouth shut and speak when I tell you to." 

I nodded, habitual of following orders like a slave and his frown deepened at my nod.

Then the silence followed and I realized this could have gone worse. I was in his mind the daughter of the man who slaughtered his entire family.