⇞ target ⇞

I sat next to the window in the room that I got. It was punishment in its own sense. There were three big windows in the room and the breeze made the whole room cold. I couldn't sleep mostly because of the fear of tomorrow and partially because of the cold. My toes were numb and my nose red due to the chilled breeze.

I tried to snuggle in the blanket that came with my things but it was not helping, the windows were made the way they couldn't be closed and the panels were broken on purpose.

So I just sat there shivering whole night.

I felt like crying but I didn't because that would just make Prince happy.

The sun was rising in the sky when there was a knock on the door. Ciara jumped to her feet half asleep, half awake and opened it for me.

"Prince calls for you." A maid said looking disgusted by me.

Again, the look was not new so it didn't bother me.

"Can I take a bath first?"

"No, he asks for you urgently."

I nodded slowly and putting on a new gown I followed the maid out. The palace looked even more gloomy in the early morning. Few servants were working and even the slightest movement made a lot of noise. I noticed everything carefully, the corridors and counted the gates, made notice of the exit points and the staircase.

Everywhere there was a guard and it was next to impossible to escape. 

I went down the staircase and maid kept walking too fast like she wanted to stay as far for me as possible. It was a miracle of the healing water that I looked less like a slave and more flawless like a princess.

After a while crossing the garden and taking a turn towards other direction I crossed the stables and a large ground with a grey cement bowl in center with a little fire burning in it. The meek sun rays did nothing to help my numb hands and feet.

I entered a large practice arena finally walking for some time and the Prince was standing on a tower built in the center with bow and arrow in his hand. He released the arrow and it hit a wooden target down on the ground. It was an admirable feat to hit the target from that distance and height.

"Ah, Ermeline, finally. What a fine morning isn't it?" He said with that dark smile of his as his eyes burned with hate.

I just bowed gracefully not answering his question.

"Now go stand there, the Queen needs to help the King in every way possible." He said and a lump formed in my throat.

He wanted me to be the target.

Once the dealers gambled with the slaves in custody and made us drink water, one of those glasses was poison. One man died right in front of me, frothing at the mouth as the veins on his neck turned blue.

The best part of this might be I will get hit by the arrow in my heart and this will end.

I nodded avoiding the horrified look on Ciara's face.

And stood boldly in front of the target now acting as one.

For a moment he stood there glaring at me and then a man came and placed a small apple on my head.

"Keep your eyes open Ermeline." He commanded and I did what was asked of me.

He shot the arrow and my heart was in my throat clenched into a tight fist. It hit the apple accurately and my heart almost slammed outside of my chest as the apple fell on the ground with a thud.

"Isn't this fun, seeing death right in your face?" He called out and I didn't answer.

"Answer when I ask a question." He yelled angrily.