⇞ bitter truth ⇞

"Stop," Nazereth commanded and everyone came to a halt.

I was sitting with Ciara on the horse because I could not ride alone. My vision was blurry now and I don't know why but for some reason the poison was acting faster than it did in the past year. Something triggered it and I had a little idea it might be overusing my ability or whatever that was. 

"We are here," Nazereth said and the fear in people was evident.

I was on alert on his words. After a few seconds, I started feeling queasy. The presence around me was haunting my soul and I knew were surrounded by death and sadness. 

I tried to get down from the horse surprising Ciara and Nazereth.

"What are you doing?" He yelled jumping down from his horse himself.

I walked towards him my legs shaking beneath me.

He took two large steps and he was near me.

"I can sense the entrance to the trap," I whispered to him while others present pretended not to be curious.

His eyes narrowed on me like I was telling lies again.

"Let me and Ciara go in and see." I offered, knowing too well I was dying.

"Have you lost your mind Ermeline, I am not letting you go alone." He snapped and stiffened at once at his words.

I regretted taking the poison then, I wanted to live even though he would never love me, I wanted to see him heal.

"Then we both can go and not put everyone else in danger. There is no use of taking them with us anyway." I said clutching on to him arm afraid that I might fall and he would leave me here.

He stared at me with an intense look in his eyes, the fire of hope still burning in them.

He was contemplating something so I nudged him further and tried my luck.

"I will die here without you."

It sounded too dramatic and farfetched, but it was true.

He sighed and before he could say it I knew he would agree.

"Just two of us then."

I smiled at him even though we're going to walk through hell now.

"Ciara let me go," I said agitated that this woman was not letting me leave with the King.

"No, look at your condition. I will not let you leave with him." She was concerned for me and it felt good.

"I can't let him go alone in danger." I pleaded to her.

She inhaled sharply at my words, "Listen to yourself, have you fallen for him?"

Maybe.

"He is hurt and I want to help."

"If it was possible, he would have shown some change for the past year."

"Please let me do this before I die."

"You will be without the water of healing." She was giving excuses now.

"I am not going to get naked Ciara, calm down," I told her lightly.

She sighed and a tear escaped her eyes, surprising me.

"Come back alive." She said not looking at me.

I just nodded not sure I can keep that promise.

We were given the necessary things, some water, and food. But Nazereth didn't look that worried instead he was oddly calm about it. I climbed on the horse with him and even in my bad state warmth rushed through me at the proximity. As he pulled the reins, my weak self almost trembled and my hand gripped his robe afraid that I might fall.