Seventh day of Christmas (John Laurens)

(A/n: I hope you like this one! I know I liked writing it!)

(Y/n's POV)
I was laying on a cot in the medical tent shivering. My arm hurt like hell and all I wanted to do was get back out on the field and fight against the British. Then suddenly, the musket fire stopped. Then I heard joyous shouting from the field.
"... WON!" Was all I heard. I sat up and tried to get out of bed but a nurse pushed me down. She was beautiful; her name was Clarissa H. Barton. (where my history nerds at?)
I layed back down and stared at the roof of the tent again. I could see the cold December sun through the fabric of the roof. I just started to drift off to sleep when I felt a hand on my good arm. I opened my eyes just as he sat down on a crate next to my bed.
The corner of my mouth curved into a smile.
"Hello John."
"Hello (y/n)."
God I wanted to kiss that man right here and now; but I knew that would only spell disaster and ruin for the both of us. There was only one other person who knew. That was Clarissa Barton. We were good friends and one night she came over to my tent with some alcohol she stole. She opened the tent flap and found a shirtless John, and an almost shirtless me making out. She had cleared her throat and we broke apart in fear.
"Please don't tell anyone Clarissa! Please."
He smiled and nodded.
"Now put your shirts on boys, we are gonna have a party."
The rest of the night we sang, and drank, and told stories, and drank.
In the morning when we were found, people thought that John and her were together and I was just a friend. Thankfully.

"How do you feel?" He asked, his eyes softening and him moving his hand to mine.
"Well I've just had a bullet in my arm, so not great. But thanks to Clarissa I feel better. She is quite the nurse you know."
He and I play it up to act like they are dating. She came by and touched John's lower back. I wasn't too jealous but still, it felt weird.
"Is he allowed to come back to our tent yet?"
"Ask him if he feels well enough!"
He turns to me and I smile at him.
"Yeah, I feel well enough."
"Then you can go. And don't forget to change your bandages darling."
I nod then sit up and swing my legs over the edge. John puts on my boots for me and I stand up. I walk into the center path of the tent. Then I go down to the left toward the back of the tent. It is a General's job to check on his men. John stands at the other end by the entrance.
I walk slowly going from bed to bed checking on my men. I had steeled myself on the outside after years of practice. I still hurt on the inside knowing that I did this to my men. I brought them to places where they could get hurt and die. Once I get to the end I follow John to our shared tent. A General must share his tent with his right hand man after all.
We walk in and I practically fall into my chair. John sits next to me and I hold his hand.
"Thank you John, I couldn't stand being In there. It just hurt me so much to see all my men in there. They are like my children."
He nodded agreeing with me then got closer to my ear to say something. I relaxed feeling his warmth near me.
"You have to stop blaming yourself. You are leading us to victory. We are going to win independence and life will be better. Not easier, but better."
I look over at him and give him a small, sad, smile.
"I suppose you are right my love."
I turn and look at him. His eyes have softened and he leans in and kisses me. I kiss him back and put my forehead against his.
"Do you think we will ever be able to be open about our love?"
"I don't know honey. Maybe one day, but let's just be happy about what we have now okay?"
I kiss his lips softly again and close my eyes.
"Can we go to bed? My arm is killing me and I need to sleep this off."
He nods and puts his hand on my bad arm.
"I just hope it doesn't get infected."
"Me too love. Than I'll have to learn how to ride my horse one handed." I say crudely.
He rolls his eyes at me and frowns.
"Hey, it was just a joke."
"I know, I just worry."
I put my hand on his shoulder then use it to stand up.
Just as I was about to get in my cot, I heard singing and clinking of bottles outside. I stand up again and look at John, though listening carefully. I silence John as he begins to speak. The boys were singing Christmas Carols. I looked back at John and held out my hand.
"I thought you were going to bed?"
"In a minute. We can go celebrate first. Have a little fun."
John smiles and shakes his head.
"Okay darling. Lets go."
He grabbed my hand and we walked out of the tent together while on the way to center camp. I let go of his hand but still walked next to him as we entered camp center.
My boys were singing and drinking and having fun. We sat down next to each other and joined in.

A few hours later in the night, we were all hammered and sitting around the fire. John and I were still sitting next to each other. I turned and kissed him gently on the lips then I immediately pulled away.
I was frozen in fear as I turned away from him. I looked into the woods. Took a deep breath then turned around and looked at the guys that were left. They all looked at us unfazed.
"You have something to tell us?" One solider asked boldly.
"Umm, well," I stand up and look at them.
"Oh god Will! Let them off the hook!" He turns to us and tips his hat.
"We all already know. It's not hard to see the way you act around each other!"
I took a deep breath and was shaking a little still.
"So you guys don't have a problem with us?"
"Course not." Another Solider piped up. "Just be careful when you guys go into town and stuff. They'll lynch ya there."
I gulped and looked down at John.
"It's okay, we'll help you if that happens though." The one named Will said.
I nodded but was still a little bit dazed. I sat back down next to John and held his hand. It felt nice to do it in public for the first time.
"Do you want to go to bed now?"
John asked, slurring  his words slightly.
I not and use his shoulder to stand up again.
"Goodnight men. Make sure to get to bed soon, we have marching orders for tomorrow."
They all raised to their bottles and when I turned to leave and John fell into step next to me, they all whistled. I just rolled my eyes and walked back to the tent.
When we both clambered into our cots with their thin blankets I told John to have a goodnights sleep.
"Merry Christmas." He said "I hope your arm feels better in the morning.
"Merry Christmas to you too. And I second that."

___________________________
A/n: I couldn't stop writing this one! I love it so much! I might do another one similar to it but not for a while. I can also do a part two if you guys want one. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed :)!