Buttered Up (Shinsou Hitoshi)

He had never been one to be buttered up by simple words.

"You have your own charm to you, you know." Your fingers comb through the front part of his hair as he rests his head on your leg, his previously closed eyes opening in surprise. Generally these moments together were quiet, peaceful, with him enjoying your touch and you enjoying the softness of his hair. "Don't give me that look! Your determination to keep being a hero is charming! Even your classmates can see it after the Sports Festival."

The memories of the Sports Festival flood back briefly and he closes his eyes again, remembering the words that were said to him by his classmates, ones that had never had anything encouraging to say before. People had even lightened up towards him, though he still remained wary of their intentions; it was just how he had developed as a person, unable to immediately trust in people.

"And even though you think I don't know, it's pretty sweet of you to feed those stray cats outside."

"...It was only once."

"They trust you enough to let you pet them, but sure. Whatever you say, Hitoshi." You have a playful tone to your voice and you know Shinsou wants to keep the neutral tough guy look on his face, but the corners of his mouth are curled upwards.

"I could fall asleep if you keep stroking my hair."

"That's fine, it looks like you could really use it."

"...they're hereditary."