Reckless (Midoriya Izuku)

How often would Midoriya needlessly hurt himself?

You cringe, unable to process the pain he's going through as he sacrifices limb per limb as he battles against an opponent far stronger. You knew he had calculated his risks but the pure determination it must take to overcome the agony he's in... and just to win a Sports Festival... Was it really worth it?

You find yourself outside the hospital room he'd found himself in after his fight with Todoroki; why had he gone all out like that? The effect he had had on Todoroki was profound but... he had lost. He had fought so long and hard and hurt himself so badly it would take more than one session with Recovery Girl to heal him, and he had still lost. How was he taking it?

You're finally allowed inside the room when he's conscious and you're not sure what to do.

"Why do you act so stupidly?!" Your words come out angrier than you'd thought they would, and you're not sure why you don't first comfort him. Midoriya gives you a sad smile, because he had known you'd be angry at him; it made you more annoyed that he could still somehow manage to read you like a book. "Why do you... go out there and do this to yourself!? I can't... I can't keep watching you do this and not say anything, Izuku."

"I'm... sorry..." He glances away from you. "But it was the only way-"

"You say that too much for it to bring me any type of comfort, Izuku. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come here just to yell... not while you're injured like this."

You whip around, not wanting him to see the tears gathering at the corner of your eyes. You began to walk towards the door but you hear Midoriya moving around in his hospital bed, something that he shouldn't be doing in his condition.

"Please, don't leave." His voice sounds so weak and strained; you turn to see he's standing, which might explain why he sounded the way he did. "Even if you just want to yell at me more, just... stay with me, would you?"

This was the bravest he'd ever been around you, that's for sure. The normal flustered Midoriya who couldn't even handle when you complimented him, had begged for you to stay with him. You can't imagine how much courage that took, and even though you were still upset about his recklessness, how could you leave him like this?

"Okay." Midoriya smiles and sits back down on his bed, while you pull up a chair to sit beside him. "But I have a lot more yelling to do."