Absent? (Todoroki Shouto)

Todoroki couldn't help the way he felt.

He might not have been in a relationship before, but he was sure it wasn't supposed to be like this. He had spent a lot of time away from home, away from you lately, and it left him feeling neglectful. He had plenty of hero work to do as he ranked within the top ten and he was still rising; the world needed him, and there was never a shortage of villains. But where did that leave you?

He wasn't stupid enough to think you were content with him never being home, he could tell you felt on edge, and always showed a hint of sadness when he told you he had to leave again. But you always seemed to brush off your own feelings to spare his, and he couldn't help but wonder how long you'd been doing that before he actually noticed.

"I'm not good enough for you."

The dinner had been going well, and you hadn't expected those words to pop out of his mouth. You glance up at him and see the concerned, conflicted look on his face and it's clear to you there's some inner turmoil going on inside.

"Shouto."

"I'm never home for you, how can you be happy? I'm just like-"

"If you compare yourself to your father I'll come across this table and slap some sense into you myself!" You cross your arms and glare at him. "You're a new, popular pro hero, Shouto! I'm not foolish enough to believe I'd have you alone to myself forever. You're doing good work for people, and even if I miss you while you're gone, you always come home to me."

"But... I should be here."

"You're here when you're here, and that's what matters to me."

"... I apologize. I didn't realize you... had it all thought out."

"Well, the whole point of relationships is to talk, isn't it?" He nods his head. "We'll find a schedule that works better, between your work and my own, when we've been in the field longer. Everything is still fresh and new and we should enjoy it while we can! But don't worry, I don't think you're an awful boyfriend, Shouto, I think you're an amazing one."

"Now that you've said that... I really feel like I don't deserve you." But he's smiling now, and you can tell your words had reached through to him, and set his racing mind at ease.

"I love you, Shouto. Never forget it."