Devoted (Hawks)

Sometimes, pain was life.

This statement is ringing truer than ever as every muscle in your body screams for relief, every cut on your body (received from flying rubble) was beginning to sting, and the smell of your own blood was making you woozy. Not every hero fight could be clean, some were dirty, involving determination and the ability to keep pushing even through the toughest parts; they'd leave you littered with bruises, scars, and fearful memories.

Despite the pain you were in, and despite the battle being over, you still made your rounds of ensuring all civilians were clear of the area. You ignored the pleas of the other pro heroes who were far more worried about your condition than you were, and continued your duty until every inch of the area was cleared. You feel much like collapsing, your energy suddenly sapped since there was no longer anything to focus on, and you nearly trip as you make your way towards an ambulance for some assistance.

"Whoa there, we don't want a hero casualty today." Hawks steadies you, hooking his arm with yours, and you'd never been more grateful to see your boyfriend in your life. You still had to keep a professional look while out in public, but you couldn't help but want to bury yourself in his arms and just get some sleep.

The next moments are a blur, and you can barely remember how you ended up in the hospital, tucked away in a bed and being attended to by a doctor. Hawks stood nearby, a conflicted look on his face as he watched you get cleaned up; you thought about how you were embarrassed to appear this messy in front of him when you'd first met, but he had quickly mentioned heroes who knew how to get down and dirty in a fight was a turn-on for him, and you hadn't been embarrassed by your appearance since.

There's finally a moment of peace when your head stops buzzing, and the doctors stop poking and prodding, and you can finally get to sleep. You're dimly aware of Hawks next to you, chatting on the phone with whoever, talking about whatever, you really can't make out a word of it. Your body still aches, but you can tell most of your serious wounds had been attended to, and with a few more hours of sleep you'd no doubt get to leave the hospital and sleep in a far more comfortable bed.

"Finally awake, huh?"

Your eyes shift over to him, another few hours having passed where you had absolutely no idea where you were or what was happening around you. You were finally gaining back the ability to think and form coherent thoughts, though your mouth was feeling a bit dry. Hawks senses this, reaching over to get the water bottle that'd been sitting nearby; it was cold, so he must've gotten it in anticipation of you waking up.

"That fight... sure was something, huh?"

"All work and no play with you, isn't it?" He's smiling playfully but you can tell he doesn't truly want to talk about villains, not at the moment. "But yes, a lot of damage was done. No civilian casualties, so good job on that. Villain has been shipped away, thrown in a cage, and the key is gone."

"That's good." You look down towards your arm, noting a cut that was surely going to turn into a scar. "We were completely unprepared for this, we should've been better, I should've been stronger, if All Might was here-"

"He isn't." Hawks says definitively. "All of us lesser heroes have to pick up the slack. But what's wrong with that?"

"That fight was so... hard. I had to keep pushing and pushing and pushing and I just..."

"That's why I fell in love with you, isn't it?" Hawks normally isn't so blatant with his affection, but there's something about his words that strike you; they're genuine, for sure, but you also think he's trying to hush your anxieties, too.

"How would I know why you fell in love with me?"

"Well, why did you fall for me?"

"...wings are cool. And now that I think about it, potentially unsanitary. Why did they let you in here?"

"Because I wouldn't leave you alone in here... and I wouldn't take no for an answer."