Cheesy (Toogata Mirio)

This situation made your heart ache.

The moment you'd heard that something had gone haywire with the mission, you'd been on top of it, news channel on so you could watch the damage unfold. You were always nervous about it, but especially so when Mirio wasn't home, and had something important to do that he couldn't disclose to you quite yet. You watch with increasing anxiety until the phone rings.

It only makes it worse.

You pack the bare minimum because you're in a panicked flurry, on the way to the hospital to see your potentially critically injured boyfriend. You'd been given little to no details because the person on the phone at the time hadn't known, and it had only made you feel even worse; the hospital is close enough for you to run to, and you do so without hesitation.

You sit outside your room and listen to the doctors talking to him; he sounds just fine from what you can hear, but you're still worried about what may be wrong. He had gone up against dastardly foes before but these ones were clearly much more dangerous, which you'd deduced from all the secrecy surrounding him lately. You had to trust in him and his abilities, but sometimes, you wished he could just tell you everything.

The doctor finally lets you in, and you thank him quietly before entering. Mirio's eyes are closed and his breathing steady, but you can tell he's not awake. He could never sleep on his back, he hated it, he liked to be curled up on his side. You take a few more steps in, staying quiet so he wouldn't notice you and you could get a closer look at potential wounds. He looks beat up, but not too worse for wear, which is a relief... for the moment.

You sit beside Mirio on the hospital bed, taking his hand into your own.

"Hey, you know..." His eyes open and he's not even remotely surprised to see you. You should've known you could never be sneaky with him around.

"What should I know?"

"Every time I see you, I fall in love with you all over again."

"Don't try to make me less upset about this with cheesy lines!" But there's a smile on your face now and you're unable to force it away, especially not with the goofy face he's giving you. He had always known how to cheer you up, even when he was the one hurt or tired, he had always been selfless like that in your relationship. "You really worried me."

"I know." He squeezes your hand reassuringly. "And I'm sorry. You know the last thing I want you to do is be pacing back and forth at home, worrying about what I'm doing."

"I... want to hear about everything that happened, from you, not the news. So please, confide in me, at least while you're constrained to this hospital bed."

"Well, since the cats out of the bag..." He glances over at the muted TV that's displaying the carnage he had previously been in. "I think I can tell you a little bit more about what happened."

He spends the rest of the night explaining to you what had happened, the general outline of the mission and what needed to happen, and brings you back into the loop. When things begin to quiet down and it's clear he's growing tired, you pat his hand and tell him to get some rest.

"Wait!" He doesn't want you to leave yet, even though he knows it's best for him to sleep while he can. He looks into your eyes and gives you a smile. "I really did mean it; I fall in love with you every time I see you."

"Cheesy..." You mutter as you kiss his forehead, knowing that you were an absolute sucker for said cheesy behavior.