Front Page News (Hawks)

You normally had breakfast with Hawks on slow days, but from the shit-eating grin on his face, you could tell breakfast might not be as peaceful as normal.

"Didn't you see the headlines?"

The question was asked nonchalantly, but something had clearly amused him. You didn't pay much attention to the papers or the internet anymore, mostly because the news was normally critical and annoying when it came to the judgment of your fellow heroes. You had long since learned you were already your own harsh critic, why take in the negativity of those who didn't understand how difficult it was to keep the peace?

Hawks had taken it upon himself to toss the newspaper in front of you, and you were going to make some snarky comment about him being an 'old man' for still having newspapers delivered to him, but then you saw the image on the front cover. You rip it away from him and he watches you, amused as your eyes flit across the page, re-reading the title over and over again. As far as newspapers go, the one he handed you was more like a tabloid, filled to the brim with hero gossip and completely inane assumptions.

"They think we're a couple?" The image had to be doctored, you don't remember ever leaning into Hawks like that, or looking over at him with such a lovestruck gaze.

"Read the part where they got on the street interviews." He pointed to a section with writing in smaller font, that were clearly quotes. "We'd make such a cute couple."

The article isn't filled with anything but love trope-y nonsense, and it's clear the person had just wanted a juicy story; now that Hawks was the number two hero, it sold more papers when his face was pasted on the front covers. It was part of the reason Hawks hated being so close to the top, since all the attention was on him and his every move was analyzed, but he did seem to get great entertainment of these types of rumors. There was one fluttering around about he and Miruko, but she stomped that out without a second thought.

"Why would people think we're together?"

"Are we not on a date right now?"

You glance around the restaurant you often frequented with him, and notice a lot of the people in the place seemed to be couples. Some were groups of friends out for lunch to catch up, but... you glare over at him, wanting to tell him that there's nothing wrong with two people just going out to have breakfast together, but he holds up a hand to silence you.

"They're watching us right now, so depending on how you react, our break-up might be big news tomorrow."

You whip your head to the places front windows and immediately glare at the array of people who are waiting outside, staring in, their eyes plastered on you and Hawks. You thought you'd be used to this as a hero, as there were always rabid fans but for the most part you're left alone, but there was still something uncomfortable about having your every move watched.

"If you keep glaring at them like that the glass might explode, and that'd be a real mess to clean up."

"You're okay with this?"

"Am I supposed to be offended that they'd pair me up with someone out of my league?"

You don't have anything else to say to that, mostly because you're so flustered you can't think straight, and instead begin to dig into the meal in front of you. You had to have a full stomach before you gave those invasive onlookers a piece of your mind.

"Hey." Hawks suddenly says after you swallow another mouthful. "I actually have something I want to say to you."

"What is it?"

"Come closer. I don't want everyone in the restaurant to hear." You think he's kidding at first, but he's wearing a surprisingly serious face, one that sends a spike of anxiety through you. What could he possibly have to say that he wouldn't say the minute you'd met up with him?

"What are we, school kids?" You roll your eyes, but lean closer to him; he's moved closer too, looking into your eyes, unblinking, and it takes a moment for you to recognize he's closer to your face than he'd ever been.

"I think..." He begins, looking down at your lips. "...This'll be a great picture for the front page."

You whip your head away from his to stare at the onlookers outside, seeing their cameras up with them snapping pictures a mile a minute. You stand up from the table and go out after them, wanting to give them a piece of your mind and knowing Hawks was going to be in for it when you're back. You leave Hawks in the restaurant, who simply shrugs his shoulders and pays the bill.

"I wonder what the article will say tomorrow."