Chapter 8

Colby's POV

I led the way to the couch where I plopped down. Sam stood, staring at the couch like it was the most amazing thing he'd ever seen.

"You can sit on the couch Sam." I smiled at him. He glanced at me, unsure, but soon took a seat next to me.

After a few minutes, everyone was sitting and watching the movie. Kat had come to sit by Sam, trying to get him to relax. The poor guy was sitting up straight as a stick.

I reached out to touch his shoulder and, hopefully, help. But as soon as I did, he yelped and jumped off the couch.

"I-I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean t-to react. P-Please forgive me." He begged. His eyes held pure terror, nothing else.

"Hey, hey, calm down, you're not in trouble." I tried to soothe. He stared up at me, tears beginning to weld up in his eyes.

"Did I hurt you?" I asked. He stared up at Kat, almost as if asking what to do. She nodded at him.

"Y-Yes, b-but it's ok! I-It will g-get better." He mumbled, barely audible. He pulled his tail closer to himself, as if it could protect him.

"Can I take a look?" I asked. He looked around the room in a panic and began to back away.

"Sammy," Kat intervened, "he just wants to make sure your ok. It'll be fine, I promise." He nodded, eyes still filled with panic.

"Can you take off your shirt for me?" I more told then asked, I didn't want anything to get infected on him.

He nodded and hesitantly pulled off the sweatshirt, wincing when he went too fast. The first thing I noticed was how inhumanly skinny he was. I don't even know how he survived this long being that skinny.

His ribs poke out, then it's a steep drop to his stomach. I could basically see every single bone in his body.

Then he tuned around. I had to hold in a gasp. His boney spine poked out of him. Along with that were scars littered all over his back. Some new some old. Long deep cuts.

I saw Corey and Brennen leave after Devyn out of the corner of my eye. Then saw the most horrific site. Three stab wounds on his left shoulder, each about an inch deep. One was bleeding and oozing some clear liquid.

"Fuck." I heard Kat say under her breath. "His body's trying to fight off the infection but he's too weak. We're gunna have to wash it out and bandage it." She said like it was natural.

"Jesus." I muttered, wiping a tear off my cheek, "ok let's do this."

"Where's your washcloths?" She asked no one in particular. Elton immediately got up.

"I got it." He yelled while running upstairs.

"Ok, I need a bowl with soapy water, can you get that Colby?" Kat asked, I nodded while getting up and rushing to get a bowl.

I quickly filled the bowl with water and some soap, then rushed back to Kat. Elton had already brought the washcloths and bandages.

Sam had started to have a panic attack. Luckily Kat was there to calm him down.

"Ok, let's do this." Kat said to herself. I just kinda sat there, not sure on what to do.

Kat grabbed the towel Elton had got. "Hey Sam, I'm gunna need you to sit very still ok." He nodded.

She began by dipping the washcloth in the water and squeezing in out a couple times. Then she rubbed the cloth gently around the area.

"Ready Sam?" Kat asked. He nodded, letting his head fall and pinning his ears.

Kat dipped the cloth in again, squeezing it out before touching it softly on the cut. Sam tensed and let out a whimper of pain.

"I know, I know." She said softly. She pressed around the wound. "Anyone got any disinfectant spray?"

"I do." Aaron finally spoke up. He quickly ran up the stairs to get it.

Kat continued to clean out the cut, making Sam squirm and whimper. She whispered sweet nothings to him as she brushed her fingers through his hair.

Aaron then came stumbling into the room giving Kat the bottle. She thanked him before spraying it on the area. Sam let out a yelp in pain and surprise. After that she rapped it and crawled in front of Sam.

"You did so good," she praised, hugging him gently, "I'm so proud of you."

He rapped his good arm around her and cried into her shoulder. "I-It h-hurts." He said, tears wetting her shirt.

"I know it will feel better." She pulled away from him and wiped his sweaty hair out of his face. "C'mon, lets go watch this movie." She smiled as he nodded.

As she got Sam situated, I cleaned up. Then I walked over to find Corey and Brennen comforting Devyn. She immediately stood up as I walked in.

"Is he ok!?" She asked in a panic. I nodded and she visibly relaxed. "I saw all the scars and cuts, I just couldn't take it. How could someone do that to an innocent kid?"

"There are a lot of sick people in this world, I'm just happy we got him instead of one of them." I said. "We're about to start the movie if you guys wanna come back." They all nodded and we made our way back to the living room.