Chapter 33

Colby's POV

I was startled awake by loud screams next to me. I quickly shot up to a sitting position as the screams got more desperate. I looked over to see Sam screaming and crying in his sleep.

"Sam?!" I tried to yell over him, "Sam wake up!" I shook him, making sure it wasn't too hard.

He woke up in a panic as nurses began to rush in. I knew they were tying to help but at the moment, all they were doing was scaring him more.

"Pl-Please don't h-hurt m-me!" He begged, curling into himself still crying hard. "I-I was j-just s-so t-tired! I-I c-couldn't s-stay awake!"

A nurse slowly approached him, making sure he didn't see her. I shook my head, trying to warn her they this wasn't a good idea, but she didn't see me.

"No! N-No p-please!" He screamed as soon as she touched him. "I-it w-won't happen a-again, I-I s-swear!" She continued to delicately rub his back as he screamed his pleas.

30 minuets has passed and by now he was only whispering his pleas, still crying a river. He hadn't moved from his curled up position, presumably terrified.

"Hey Sam." The nurse spoke softly, "no ones gonna hurt you." He shook his head and continued to whisper out his pleas.

"It's ok Sam. You're in the hospital." She spoke again, "can you say that? 'I'm in the hospital and I'm ok.' Say it with me ready?" She waited until Sam gave a little nod, which he did.

"I-I'm i-in the h-hospital a-and I-I'm ok." He whimpered out quietly with the nurse. She smiled and pet his ears.

"Good boy, see you're ok. No one is gunna hurt you, we want to help you. Say it with me. 'No ones gunna hurt me, they want to help me.' Ready?" He nodded

"N-No ones g-gunna h-hurt m-me they w-want t-to h-help m-me." He whispered. She smiled wider as she continued to pet his ears.

"Good boy Sam, you're doing such a good job." She smiled down at him. He relaxed just a bit, although he was eyeing her anxiously. She turned to me, smile faltering.

"He's one of the worst cases of PTSD I've ever seen." She quietly said to me. "Did you get him at an auction?" I nodded. "Poor baby."

"What I have learned over the past years is that you have to basically remind them that you love them and they they're good. Especially when they're this bad off." She whispered, turning her attention back to Sam who was now just quietly shaking.

"Oh I didn't introduce myself, I'm Dr. Evan." She reached her hand out for me to shake, which I did. "I'm a physiatrist."

"Nice to meet you." I smiled. There was a pause before she spoke again.

"Ok, well I have to get going. I have a few more patients to attend to." She said getting up. "It was nice meeting you-"

"Colby." I cut her off.

"Colby." She finished smiling, "I'll see you guys later on today." She walked out the door, shutting it quietly behind her.