Chapter 16

Colby's POV

"What?" I asked in complete shock. I looked over at Sam just to see him look down shamefully.

"I'm guessing he didn't tell you?" I shook my head, "Didn't think so, seeing what he's been though, he most likely wasn't going to."

I watched as a tear feel from Sams eye. He was scared, I could feel it.

"So what do we do to help?" I asked.

Dr. Pond sighed as she spoke, "You really can't do much. It's a very painful process and his body gets very hot. He's gunna get pretty sick so make sure he stays hydrated and eats plenty of food."

I sighed looking over at Sam who was now shaking with fear. Kat was comforting him by whispering in his ear. By the looks of it, it wasn't working.

"You want to talk about this outside?" The doctor asked me, noticing what was going on.

"Please." I said getting up to follow her. She gently closed the door behind us before she started again.

"He will get really needy during this, you know that right?" I nodded and she continued, "You might have to help him, I'm so sorry that this happened early because he clearly is going to have a hard time trusting you."

"Yeah, I know." I said. She put her hand on my shoulder.

"Just get him home and get him comfortable, the first few days are always the worst." I nodded before we walked back into the room. Sam was slightly calmer but still very tense.

"Hey buddy lets go home ok?" I smiled sweetly when he looked up. He got off the table and followed me out the door.

"You can pay and get the medication at the desk. Have a good day!" Dr. Pond said as she walked away to tend to another patient. I nodded my thanks and quickly went to pay and get the meds.

"Ok so these," the nurse held up a bottle of pills, "are for the infection. He needs to take 2 a day, and the other is for pain, take it every 4 hours." She said as she gave me the pills.

"Thanks." I smiled as we walked out. We quickly made our way to the car and got in. Poor Sam still seemed terrified.

"I-I'm s-sorry." Sam whimpered. I was honestly surprised that was was able to hear it, he said it so softly.

"Sam, it's ok. I understand that you're scared and I'm not mad at you, and I'm definitely not gunna hurt you. I'm gunna help your through this and everything gunna be ok. Ok?" I explain while glancing at him through the rear view mirror.

I could see his shocked expression as he whispered an ok. I smiled to myself, hoping that I was making progress.

Soon we pulled into the driveway where I was met by Corey screaming. Sam nearly passed out he was so scared. I quickly got out of my car.

"Corey, man, you can't scream, at least not until he gets comfortable with us." I said looking at Sam. He did the same, then looked at me with sad eyes.

"I'm sorry Sam." Corey said.

"I-It's ok r-really I-" He was cut short when he held his stomach and whimpered. I rushed towards him but quickly stopped when he whimpered again and backed away.

"I-I'm sorry! I-I can't c-control I-It!" He begged desperately, "p-please don't h-hurt m-me." He whispered the last part. Corey and I both looked at each other in confusion.

"Sam, I'm not gunna hurt you. You can't control it and that's ok. You're gunna be alright." He looked up at me with tears threatening to fall.

"C'mon let's go get you comfortable." I said smiling reassuringly. He nodded following me into the house and up the stairs.

We walked into his room and I pulled the covers back. He carefully climbed in, curling up into a little ball with his tail around him.

"You gunna be ok here by yourself?" I asked while petting behind his ears. He closed his eyes and nodded. I gently pulled my hand away and pulled the covers up on him.

"Sleep well Sammy." I said, beginning to walk out.

"Th-thank you C-Colby." I heard him respond. I smiled to myself as I shut off the lights and closed the door.