Chapter 14

Kian's POV

When Zion and Mj came back to the group, I notice they held hands until Zion let go. This has been too much for Maddi. She wasn't talkative at breakfast. Maybe it's because her brother was leaving her or whatever happened with Zion has her questioning herself. Right now, she had taken Jer to the airport. He's being shipped overseas. I know for sure that Maddi is bawling her eyes out. She had always looked up to Jeremy. He was her protector, her best friend. I remember when he told her that he had joined the Marines, she was happy for him. But he told her a week before he was being sent to boot camp. It broke her but she knew this was something he longed for. So she suffered in silence. Those few months when he was away at camp. She was hurting, missing her big brother. Maddi's dad was the one who took care of them. Her mother left them when Mj was only 7 years old. She was close with her dad and brother. Her dad passed away not that long ago. So with her only brother being away, is painful for her. Jc, Bobby, Corey, Colby and myself promised to take care of Mj while Jeremy was away. Only four of us had kept that promise. My thoughts were interrupted by the front door opening. I looked up to see Mj. She look drained but still smiled as she seen me. This only caused me to smile up at her. "You okay Bubs?" I asked. She walked over to the couch I was sitting on and laid her head on my lap. "I miss him already Kian. I prayed to god that he watched and protect my brother." She whispered. I was surprised. Mj had never been the one to believe in God or any higher power. So the fact that she prayed for her brother, you know how scared she is for him. I played with her hair. "Shh just take a nap maddi" I whispered to her. She nodded her head and I felt her body relax beneath me. Couple minutes later I heard her breathing get heavier. She was fast asleep.

....

MJ's POV

I woke up in my bed, my blankets on top of me. I rubbed my tired eyes. I noticed that it was dark outside. How long did I sleep for? Honestly felt like 25 years. My head was hurting and my eyes felt so heavy. The aftermath of crying my eyes out. My throat was dry as the New Mexico desert during the summer. I noticed my phone was on my nightstand. Guess Kian had carried me to my room. I removed myself from the comfort of my bed, grabbed my phone and walked out of my room. I heard laughter coming from the living room. I saw that Kian, Bobby, Jc, Chelsey, Corey, Franny, and Nessa were all sitting on the couch. "Hey guys" I said. My voice coming out hoarse. All their heads turned to me, sympathetic smiles appear on their faces. A deep sigh escaped my lips. I sat next to Kian as they watched youtube. If I'm being honest, I could careless. I want my brother here with me. I felt an arm wrap around my arm. "You okay?" I looked up at Kian. "Yeah. Just tired." I lied. He knew it too but didn't push further. I felt my phone buzz a couple of times. I reached into my hoodie and grabbed it.

Jeremy 🦸🏻‍♂️
Hey baby sis, I just got to base. I'll video chat you or even write you letters when I get to the base overseas. I love you, take care❤️

Maddi🎤
I love you too big brother. Be careful!

I turned my phone off and felt my eyes burn. I didn't want to cry. Not now. Not in front of everyone. I quietly got up and walked back to my room. I can't be around others right now. I didn't care if they had watched me walk away. I needed to be alone. Once I reached my room, I jumped into bed. I pulled the hoodie up to my nose and smelt it. It smelled just like my brother. And this pushed me over the edge. Tears streamed down my face as I felt a physical pain shoot through my chest. I covered my mouth to keep myself quiet. I didn't want my friends to worry more about me. I wiped my face and took a couple deep breaths. "You can do this. Jer will be fine. He always is. Now pull yourself together for Jeremy" I whispered to myself. I heard my phone ring. Without looking at the contact I answered it. "Maddi?" I heard Zions voice come through. I mentally rolled my eyes. "Yes Caleb?" I said. I heard him chuckle "can I come get you? We can drive around. I figured we can both use the company.." you could hear the hint of hope and sadness in his voice. He did have a point though. I needed to get out of this place. I needed some company that won't pity me. "Sure, just text me when you're outside." I spoke softly. Probably due to my dry throat. Or maybe because I just feel vulnerable at the moment. "Aight, see you Maddi" I could hear the smile in his voice. "Bye Caleb" and before he could respond I hung up on him. I went to my mirror and seen the bags under my red eyes. I didn't care if I looked bad. It's just Zion. I don't have to impress him, I mean he is after all with Sammi. I walked back to my bed and laid in silence. Not paying attention to anything. My brother walking away kept replaying in my head. I felt a few tears slide to the side of my face. During this breakdown, I hadn't notice my phone ringing. I wonder what Jeremy was doing right now? Is he alone? Is he safe? My overthinking was interrupted with soft knocks on my door. "Come in" I spoke not looking at who walked in. I just stared at my ceiling. "Maddi? It's Zion." I quickly sat up and looked at him. "Oh god, I'm sorry. I guess I didn't hear my phone go off." He cut me off by walking in front of me "were you crying?" He said reaching to wipe my tears. "No I was—" he cut me off again. "Maddi, I just wiped tears off of your face. Don't lie" he said looking down at me. "I miss him Caleb. I want my brother" I said as I began to cry. Zion didn't hesitate to hug me. I cried into his chest as he rubbed my back. "Shh shh. You're okay Mads. I'm here" he said rocking us back and forth. He continued to hold me until I stopped crying. I pulled away from his hug. "I'm okay." Is all I said. I wiped my tears and took a deep breath. I felt Zion watch me as I did this. "Okay let's go for that drive. I need to get out of the house" I said standing up. I looked at Zion as he just stared at me with a smile. "What?" I said nervously laughing. "Nothing. It's just you cried and now you want to continue with our plan?" He asked. "Well yeah" I said smiling. He shook his head and stood up. "You're strong you know that? I have never seen a girl do that." He said looking down at me. I gave him a weak smile. "Let's go Caleb." I said pointing to the door. "Alright ma." He said smirking at me. I rolled my eyes as we walked out of my room. This can't be bad right? It's just two friends going for a drive. Right?