Chapter 75

Mj's POV

I walked out of the house and to the SUV. I was greeted with 5 people. I know there was 4 of them who was there fighting besides Jeremy. We said our hello's and drove in silence. I'm sure we all didn't know what to say. We had lost someone who was a brother to us. "How far along were you? If you don't mind me asking" Tonto said to me. I looked up "I don't mind, I was 3 going on 4 months." I answered. "He was excited. Both him and Rone" Tig said. I smiled "I remember how happy they were when I had told them" I said. This started us talking about them. All great memories we won't forget. We even laughed here and there. The drive wasn't necessary long. It was about 25 minutes long, we pulled up to the cemetery. Everyone was now arriving. Hugging me and giving me small talks. I had to wait for everyone to sit or stand. And when they did, all eyes were focused on me. I noticed how a lot of people here were dressed in military uniforms. All friends of Jeremy he had made. I had to give the eulogy since I was the only family he had.
"Good morning everyone, I want to start off by thanking each and everyone of you for attending. As we lay my brother to rest, I want you all to know from now on, we will celebrate his life more than we mourn for him. It's said to be that angels are sent down from above, I've always had my angel, my brother, whose heart was filled with love and kindness. My brother was an amazing person, there was never a day when I didn't see him smile. His laughter was contagious, you and I both know Jeremy had the funniest laugh ever. And I think that's what made us laugh more. My brother had always been the one to push me towards my dreams and goals in life. And I couldn't be more thankful for that. For as long as I can remember, Jeremy had always been my best friend. We were inseparable way before he had joined the military. And even then, we always kept in contact. In a way, we balanced each other out. I haven't been in the best place since I found out. Not only have I lost my best friend but also my baby. I remember telling my brother about my pregnancy, he was so excited to be an uncle. In a way, I find comfort knowing my brother will be taking care of my baby and vise versa. After today, it will be hard without you Jer. But I know you'll always be by my side no matter what. Always watching over me. I can't thank you enough for giving me the best 20 years of my life. A friend once asked me, when you walk into a garden, what kind of flower do you pick? I answered the most beautiful one. To which he responded, Jeremy was a beautiful flower that god picked to return home. That had given me a sense of comfort. Jeremy, wherever you go, I hope you find the peace you've always wanted. And watch over my baby for me. One day we will be together again. I love you both so very much. May we meet again."
I wiped the tears off my face and sat down. I watched as his friends place their medals on his casket. It was a thing they do when they have a fallen soldier. Two marines had folded the flag and handed it to me. Saluting me afterwards. One by one, guests started to leave. Jack Silva, walked over to me. Handing me something. "I think Jeremy would want you to have this." I smiled and thanked him. It was a small box. I opened it, there was his dog tags, his ring, and a picture of him and I from my graduation. I felt tears fall down to my cheek. I smiled and held the box and flag close to me. "Maddi?" I heard from behind me. I turned around and seen the Kuwonu's. Mandy was the first to walk up to me and hug me. "I'm so sorry Maddi. For everything. For what my son had put you through. You are a strong woman." She said to me before pulling away. "Thank you Mandy." I replied. Kékéli and Elom both gave me hugs and their condolences. Their dad had given me hug and few inspirational words. Then there was Zion left. We both didn't know what to say. His family had walked away to give us space. "I uhm have to go, greet the guest at the reception" I said to him. He nodded his head. I slowly turned around and seen Kian and Ayla waiting for me at their car. "Wait Maddi!" I heard. I stopped and waited for him to come to me. "I'm sorry. For everything, for the lying, the cheating, for not fighting for you, for Jeremy...For our baby." He said cupping my cheeks. I looked up at him, both of our eyes tearing up. I looked down and backed up. "Saying Sorry is not going to change anything Caleb. It's not going to turn back time. I need time." I said looking at him. He looked hurt but I was hurting more. "How much time?" He asked. I looked away and then back to him. "I'm moving." I blurted out. He stepped closer to me "what?" He asked. "I'm moving. Away from here." I answered. "Where? Maddi where?" He said. "I can't tell you. I'm doing to for me. You moved on and I think it's time I do the same." I said walking away from him. "So you're just going to leave?" He said. I stopped and faced him. "You do this when things get hard. You walk away. God can't you see that I love you Maddi James." He continued. I wiped the tears before talking. "I only walk away when there is nothing else to do. I walk away because I'm too tired. Tired of the constant fighting with your girlfriend, your fans, and with you. You had no problem being with her. So just leave me alone. Let me move on. Let me be happy for once. You say you love me but you aren't IN love with me." I said to him. I waited for him to say something but he didn't. I nodded my head and walked away. Leaving him standing there. I got into the car, not daring to look back.