𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆 𝘀𝗶𝘅

I am late. I am late. I am late.

I overslept this morning, missed breakfast and now I'm late to my first lesson of Defense Against the Dark Arts with Moody.

I ran into the classroom and everyone stared at me. Professor Moody grunted, "Nice of you to join us, Ms Weasley."

"I'm sorry, Professor," I apologized and looked around trying to find a seat.

I didn't realize that this class was with the Slytherins and just my luck the only empty seat was besides Malfoy. Well it's actually not surprising considering how infuriating he is. I hesitated going to sit next to him but there was no other option.

Moody glared at me impatiently, "Take a seat."

"Sorry," I squeaked and quickly dropped my books on the table. I sat beside Malfoy and tried my best to ignore him.

He looked extremely uncomfortable and I cringed when I remembered what had happened yesterday.

I shook those thoughts out of my head and turned to listen to what our Professor had to say.

"Alright, let's begin," He cleared his throat. "Alastor Moody. Ex-Auror, Ministry Malcontent and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story. Goodbye. The end. Any questions?"

That's it. I've decided. Mad-Eye Moody bloody creeps me out.

No one raised their hands to ask a question so Moody continued, "When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach but first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

"Three, sir," Hermione and I chorused. I saw Malfoy roll his eyes.

"And they are so?"

I closed my mouth and Hermione answered, "Because they are unforgivable, the use of any one of them will—"

"—Earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct!" Moody nodded. "The ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do, I say different. You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared! You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides under your desk, Mr Finnigan!"

My eyes shot to a guilty looking Seamus who slowly removed the gum from under the desk.

I ignored the little exchange between Moody and Seamus until Moody's expression turned serious, "So, which curse shall we see first?"

"Weasley!"

"Yes?" Ron and I answered at the same time.

"Mr Weasley," Moody corrected himself. "Stand up!"

Ron stood up from his desk and Moody asked him to name one of the unforgivable curses. Ron glanced at me quickly before saying, "Well, our dad did tell us about one... the Imperius curse."

Moody nodded, "Your father would know all about that, he gave the ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago."

My cheeks flushed when some Slytherins turned to stare at me. Our Professor continued, "Perhaps this will show you why."

He walked to his desk and from what I could see, uncovered a container with a bug inside. Moody enlarged the bug and put the Imperius curse on it.

I knew it was a spider due to Ron's reaction. Moody dangled the spider over Ron's head and Ron turned white. I could hear his whimpering all the way from where I was sitting. Malfoy nearly fell of his chair from laughter, so I stamped on his foot.

Malfoy winced in pain and I smiled innocently at him. Moody smirked, "What are you laughing at, Malfoy?"

Moody moved the spider off of my brother and onto Malfoy.