𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘁𝘆 𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻

The girls and I were on our way to our first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson of our fifth year. Everyone seemed rather skeptical of going to class seeing as her introduction to the school was not the best.

I still hadn't seen Professor Umbridge but from what everyone has been saying, I'm positive we won't get along.

I took a seat beside Hermione, in the second row from the front. Scarlett and Gia sat in the first row in front of us. This class was with the Slytherins and I blushed thinking of what was going to happen with Draco tonight. I'm supposed to meet him after supper.

Pavarti enchanted a paper bird to fly across the classroom. The bird landed on my shoulder. I took it in my hand and blew a breath so it would start flying again.

Several boys took attempts in knocking the bird down, until it suddenly got incinerated.

My eyebrows furrowed and I turned back to make eye-contact with a rather ugly looking woman dressed head-to-toe in pink. I smirked, this is going to be interesting.

"Good morning, children," Our Professor greeted the class. I could hear the deceit in her voice. She does not look like the person who enjoys being around children.

"Ordinary Wizarding Level Examination," Umbridge waved her wand and her words appeared on the chalkboard. This was the year of our OWLs. "More commonly known as OWLS. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so and the consequences may be severe."

I mentally rolled my eyes at her fake politeness. Hermione beside me also didn't seem to be buying the act Umbridge was putting on for the class.

Umbridge waved her wand again and textbooks started to be dropped onto our desks.

"Your previous instructions in this subject has been disturbingly uneven, but you will be pleased to know from now on, you will be following a carefully structured Ministry approved course of defensive magic."

I glanced down at my textbook titled 'Dark Arts Defence: Basics for Beginners'. Was this supposed to be a joke?

Hermione raised her hand to ask a question, "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?"

"Using spells?" Umbridge laughed. "Well I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not going to use magic?" I raised my eyebrow and felt Umbridge stare at me.

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way," Umbridge explained and I shot Ron and Harry a look.

"Well... what use is that?" Harry spoke my thoughts. "If we're going to be attacked, it won't be risk-free."

"Harry's right," I agreed.

"Here we go again," I heard Seamus' voice whisper to Dean beside him.

Umbridge glared at both of us, "Students will raise their hands if they wish to speak in my classroom."

"It is the view of the Ministry, that a theoretical knowledge would be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which after all is what school is all about," Umbridge clasped her hands together as she walked to the front of the class.