Chapter 79: Escapism

Third Person POV

Following the events in "A New Era", after being thrown into a dark empty room by Yellow Diamond, Stevonnie attempts to get out by bashing against the door with Steven's shield, but gets blown back when the shield breaks.

Stevonnie: Ughh... Hmm. Not getting out that way. *looks up* A window!

Stevonnie climbs up and looks out of the window, finding themselves in a solitary tower high above the ground. They then accidentally slips and falls off the window, unfusing back into Steven and Connie.

Connie: *grunts* You okay?

Steven: *nods* Mm-hmm.

Connie: *sighs and pulls out a Protes bar* Well... Good thing I grabbed a couple of these before the ball. Otherwise, we'd have nothing to eat. Can't escape Gem prison on an empty stomach.

Connie breaks the energy bar in half. She hands Steven a half, and the pair chomps down on the energy bar.

Steven: We never should have come here.

Connie: *swallows* What?

Steven: This whole plan! What was I even thinking?

Connie: Well, you were thinking that if you came to Homeworld and talked to White Diamond, maybe you could save all the corrupted Gems on Earth.

Steven: Oh right. And look where that got us.

Connie: Well, we knew it wouldn't be easy.

Steven: Yeah, but I didn't think I'd get every Crystal Gem poofed at the same time. And what'll Dad say when he finds out? His only son, in jail at fourteen! What a disgrace...

Connie: We can't give up; one step at a time! We'll think of something. Okay, so, we tried the bubble and the shield and that window. What else have we got? Uh... Hey, my phone. Oh, wait. No reception. Not that there's anyone we could call for help anyway.

Steven, curled up in distress, begins to slip into his psychic mind state, but quickly wakes up, breaking out of the state and gasps in shock and realization.

Connie: How long do you think they'll keep up locked up in here? 100 years?

Steven: That's it!

Connie: Really? 100 years?!

Steven: No, call for help. There are Crystal Gems left that hasn't been poofed, and that's Bismuth and The Zircons and Lonely Pearl. Maybe I can reach all of them with my sleeping psychic mind powers.

Connie: You think you can do that? Reach all the way to Earth with your mind?

Steven: It'll be a stretch for sure, but I won't know unless I try.

Connie: Well, what are we waiting for? Bedtime, mister!

Steven: *lies on Connie's laps* All right. Here goes nothing! *closes his eyes*

Connie: You can do this!

Steven breathes in and out, and then begins to doze off. He then reenters his psychic mind state and leaves his physical body.

Steven: Whoa. Connie, I did it. I'm in that psychic ghost space again.

Connie: Great! Can you talk to Earth?

Steven: H-hang on. I gotta find it first? Okay. Earth, where you at? Come on! *starts thinking hard* Beach City. Video games, donuts, Dad! *gasps*

A bright star sparkles in the distance.

Steven: There you are!

Connie: You find it?

Steven: Yeah, but it looks far away. This might take me a while.