Chapter 145, the Knights of Ren

/ First Person Protagonist POV /

The Knights of Ren had taken a brief step back as Ben drew the weapon from over his shoulder. They were surprised, as was I, except I understood from where he'd taken the lightsaber. It meant Rey knew we were here. She had sensed Ben through their dyad, she knew help was on its way. I just hoped that would be enough for her to stand ground for a little longer before we got there.

The knights wouldn't underestimate us, that was for sure. They knew what their ancient master was capable of, the knights of Ren acknowledged Ben and my skill's combined, and they wouldn't let their guard down for that reason. 

The same went for me and possibly Ben. As Kylo Ren, he had known the knights that supposedly were devoted to him fully for years, while I was not as familiar with them, I knew what they were capable of. 

" Let's end this as quickly as we can, Ben." I furrowed my eyebrows and focused on the three knights in my field of vision. 

" I was going to say the same thing." He replied, and the both of us engaged in combat against the knights of Ren. I was up against Kuruk, Cardo, and Trudgen, whereas Ben was opposing Ap'lek, Vicrul, and Ushar. 

In my opinion, Ben was against the strongest knights: Vicrul and Ap'lek. The first was a bloodthirsty killer who grew powerful with the dark side with each victim that succumbed to his blade, meaning by now, he was pretty strong. And Ap'lek, the wisest and most strategic of the six. With his Mandalorian executioner axe, he was a breathing killing machine. 

Ushar on the other hand, didn't specialize in any form of combat specifically, but he enjoyed gruesome methods of a slow, torturing death. He was a patient man, and wouldn't falter or become exasperated if fighting Ben took time. 

I recalled the information I had gained in my days as a knight, alongside the ranks of the elite enforcers and bodyguards of Kylo Ren. I knew about their fighting styles just as much as the knights knew about mine, both sides were at a disadvantage because of that. 

If I planned my battle out, then Kuruk would be the hardest to take down on my side. Unlike Cardo and Trudgen, who specialized mostly in having excellent armory which, unfortunately for them, could be penetrated by a lightsaber, Kuruk was a precision master. 

He was usually the Knight's rifleman, covering assaults conducted by the rest of the knights of Ren. I had witnessed many times how precise his marksmanship was, and how he rarely missed a target. He was a solitary knight, and if the other two would be unable to help him, it wouldn't affect Kuruk as much. He liked to act alone. 

I shooed my thoughts away in the blink of an eye to concentrate on the battle as Cardo's weapon came dangerously close to my left arm. He loved havoc and destruction over a precise hit, and I took that to my advantage. 

Swiftly, I wielded the Darksaber in his direction, slashing Cardo across the chest with the black blade. Not even his armor was strong enough to prevent the inevitable damage the weapon of a Jedi caused.

His lifeless body fell to the ground within seconds, bringing back unpleasant memories of similar scenarios from the past year and a half. At the sight of their dead comrade, Kuruk and Trudgen's attacks became more violent and potent than before. Not because they felt saddened about the loss of Cardo, but because they knew the odds were beginning to be in my favor. 

Shrieks and groans of pain sounded from behind me, none coming from Ben, fortunately. I knew he wasn't fighting at his best because he was paying too much attention to me, constantly looking back to see how I was doing. 

I didn't like that. Even if I understood why he was doing it, because I had to admit I had done the same a couple times. Ben trusted me, but his worry clouded his judgement of my abilities. I would be able to take down the knights faster if I wasn't constantly worrying about Ben being slaughtered or injured by the ones he was fighting, and I knew he felt the same way.