Chapter 22: The Pain of Losing Someone Else I Love

Hope's POV:

We land in the middle of the arena and the band starts up and everyone starts cheering. Harry and I are sobbing, both of us clutching onto each other and Cedric's body. "Harry? Harry! HOPE!" Dumbledore calls. He tries to pull us both off of him, but we refuse. "NO!" Harry yells.

"For God's sake Dumbledore, what's happened? Why is that girl with them?" A man asks him. "He's back. He's back. Voldemort's back." Harry cries, trying to get Dumbledore to understand. I just sit there sobbing. So many emotions flood me and there's only one way for them to go. Out.

With a scream, making sure to keep my powers in, but that strength is dwindling

With a scream, making sure to keep my powers in, but that strength is dwindling. Harry holds onto me tightly. "Cedric, he asked me to bring his body back. I couldn't leave him...not there. Neither of us could I'm there reason Hope was there. She could have died. She could have died." 

Harry cries harder, holding me tighter to him. "It's all right Harry, Hope. It's all right. He's home. You all are. Hope is safe now. She's right here. She's safe." Dumbledore tells him. "The body must be moved Dumbledore...too many people." The man says again. 

"LET ME THROUGH!" I hear a familiar voice yell. "THAT'S MY SON! THAT'S MY BOY!" Mr. Diggory cries out. Suddenly Harry is yanked away from me. "Come on! Get up!" Moody yells. I whip my head around, flashing my golden eyes at him. I stand. 

"Let him go." I snarl, tears still running down my face. He does and Harry latches back onto me. "Easy, easy. This is not where you want to be right now, either of you. Come on." Moody says. Mr. Diggory continues to cry in agony. 

Moody grabs onto Harry's shoulder and steers both of us towards the school. Moody leads us to his office. He closes and locks the door behind us, leading us further in. He gives us a single stool. Harry sits down and I curl up on his lap, holding onto him like my life depends on it. 

"Are you alright?" He asks us. We both nod. "Does it hurt Potter? That?" He asks, gesturing to Harry's arm. "Not so much now." Harry croaks out. "Perhaps I'd better take a look at it." He says. "D-don't bother." I say. I place my hand over it and the wound heals. 

"The cup was a Portkey. Someone had bewitched it." Harry explains. "What was it like?" Moody asks. "How could you possible ask him about that right now?" I snap. "What was he like?" He asks, ignoring me. "Who?" Harry asks. "The Dark Lord." Then it hits me. 

I knew I should have trusted my gut with him form the start of the year. "What was it like, to stand in his presence?" He asks. "I don't know. It was like I'd fallen into one of my dreams. Into one of my nightmares." Harry says, still not understanding what I am. 

He goes to take a drink from his flask, but it's empty. Then it hits me. All the dots start connection. The polyjuice potion ingredients going missing, the bad feeling I get when he's around. He rushes into the other room. 

"Were there others? In the graveyard, were there others?" He asks. Harry goes to say something, but then it clicks. "I...I don't think I said anything about a graveyard professor." Harry says. I stand. He comes back into the room. 

"Marvelous creatures dragons aren't they?" He mocks what Hagrid said to us that night. "Do you think that miserable oaf would've lead you into the woods if I hadn't suggested it?" He asks. He continues to ruffle through the room. 

"Do you think Cedric Diggory would've told you to open the egg underwater if I hadn't told him first myself?!" He yells. "Do you think Neville Longbottom, the witless wonder, could've provided you with gillyweed if I hadn't given him the book that lead him straight to it?" 

He  continues to talk, getting closer to Harry. I put myself between the two. "That's close enough." I spit, glaring. He backs off. "It was you from the beginning. You put my name in the Goblet of Fire. You bewitched Krum, but you-" 

"But-but. You won because I made it so, Potter. You ended up in that graveyard tonight because it was meant to be so. Mikaelson wasn't supposed to be there and I suspect that I will hear about it when I get back to him, but now, the blood that's in these veins runs within the Dark Lord." 

He rushes towards Harry, but I once again stand in the way. "Always in the way Mikaelson." He backhands me, sending me flying to the ground. "HOPE!" Harry yells. I glare, sitting up. I raise my hand. "Corporis Impetu!" I cry out, sending the man flying into the wall. 

"I've fought enough Death Eaters tonight. You will be nothing. Because of you I lost someone!" I scream. I struggles and fails to get out of my spells hold. I squeeze my hand into a fist. "BECAUSE OF YOU HARRY ALMOST DIED!" I scream again. He starts transforming before our eyes. 

His face bubbling. The door busts open. "Hope, let him go." Dumbledore instructs. "But he-" "Now!" He demands. Reluctantly I drop my spell and Dumbledore flings the man into a chair. "Severus!" Dumbledore yells. 

Snape walks forwards and puts a few drops from a vile into the man's mouth. I back up and soon I'm in front of Harry again. He wraps his arms around me and I sink into them, exhausted by tonights events. "Do you know who I am?" Dumbledore asks. "Albus Dumbledore." 

"Are you Alastor Moody? Are you?" "No." "Is he in this room? Is he in this room?!" Dumbledore demands. Fake Moody looks to the chest Harry and I are standing behind. "Harry! Hope! Get away from there!" Dumbledore yells. 

We quickly move over to Professor McGonagall while Snape casts a spell to open the trunk.  When it's finally open we all pear into a deep well with a man at the bottom of it. "Are you alight Alastor?" Dumbledore asks. "I'm sorry Albus." The man calls back. 

"That's Moody. But then who's-" Snape holds up the flask and sniffs. "Polyjuice potion." He confirms. "Now we know who's been stealing from your stores, Severus." Dumbledore says. He then turns to the real Moody. "We'll get you up in a minute." He calls. 

Sounds start coming from the fake Moody we al turn to him. He's turning back into himself. Harry pulls me away from the man. Harry and I walk closer to take a look at his real face. Then he lunges. 

"HARRY! HOPE!" Dumbledore says, as him and Snape pull us back and place us with McGonagall. "Barty Crouch Jr." Dumbledore reveals. "I'll show you mine if you show me yours." He says, lifting his sleeve to reveal the Dark Mark on his forearm. 

"Your arm Harry." Dumbledore says, pulling Harry forward. "You know what this means, don't you? He's back. Lord Voldemort has returned." Crouch mutters. "I'm so sorry sir, I couldn't help it. I barely managed to call Hope." Harry tries to explain. 

"Send an owl to Azkaban. I think they'll find they're missing a prisoner." Dumbledore instructs McGonagall. "I'll be welcomed back like a hero." Dumbledore starts dragging Harry and I out of the room. 

"Perhaps. Personally, I've never had much time for heroes." He tells the man before we're out the door. "Potter, Mikaelson, you two go back to Gryffindor Common Room. The students have been instructed to leave you alone tonight. I suggest you both rest." He says. 

We nod and head towards the Common Room. We don't speak. There's nothing to say. We maintain contact with each other the entire time. Not wanting to let go in fear the other would disappear. When we get back to the Common Room it's deserted. 

We part ways at the stairs and I go to shower in my dormitory. Once I'm clean I lay in bed, trying to get to sleep. I can't. Knowing there's no use in sleeping I head downstairs. to the Common Room only to find Harry already sitting in our spot. 

I walk over and sit down, laying my head on his shoulder and curling into his side. He wraps an arm around me as he pulls me closer to him, laying his head on top of mine. We maintain our silence and soon we're both asleep.