Chapter 9: Hogsmead Escape

Hope's POV:

The half-blood prince situation didn't go away overnight like I thought it would. In fact, Harry and I have been at odds on how much he should trust the man behind the book he carries like it's the most important thing in his life.

I swear he spends more time with that book than he does with me and it's starting to irritate me. Maybe Hermione was right in wanting him to turn it in. Something about it has him clinging to it like it's his Holy Grail. It's so frustrating.

These past few months have been slightly tense between us. We weren't having as many nights on our couch like we normally do, we're not just having random, but meaningful conversations, we barely even speak to each other.

We just sit in silence either doing work, or he's reading his damn book. Maybe you think I'm a bit needy for attention. I can see that, but if you were in my shoes, and your boyfriend/soulmate is prioritizing a book over your relationship. You would be a tiny bit frustrated too.

I've spent a lot more time hanging out with Hermione and Ron this semester. I've even gotten to hang out with Neville, Luna, and Ginny as well, but that is the extent of the good things coming from my involuntary distancing from Harry. I haven't been sleeping.

Nightmares from everything we've gone through have plagued me recently. Nightmares the other world are plaguing me. For the first time in a few years, I find my self longing to be with my family again. I didn't realize how much I miss them.

I mean, they're my family and everything, but Harry has always kept my mind away from those kinds of thoughts. Without him there 24/7, they're starting to seep back into my mind. I didn't realize how much I depended on Harry's presence in my life until it was lacking. It hurts.

Currently I'm walking to Hogsmead with Ginny, Luna, and Neville. I was supposed to go with Harry for a date, but he didn't meet me in the Common Room. I waited and hour and half until the the three of them came down and I decided to go with them.

I'm not missing a Hogsmead trip because my boyfriend has his priorities messed up. "Hope, you do this every year, and every year I have to explain this to you. You don't have to buy me anything." Ginny complains after I sneakily paid for her Honeydukes candy.

I smirk and shrug at her frustrated look. "Sorry, Gin." "No you're not." "No I'm not." She sighs. "Look, this is just a way of repaying your family for everything they've does for me. It's not even close to what I wish I could do for all of you." I explain.

The two of us walk back outside where Neville and Luna are waiting. "Hope, you're family, we'd do anything for you." She says softly. "I know, and it's vise versa, but I wasn't always family. Your parents took me in as a complete stranger from another world." I tell her.

I explained everything to Ginny and Luna after they saw me shift at the ministry. Ginny was a little pissed that I kept all this from her, but understood while Luna just grinned and told me how cool I am. I love my friends. Especially the ones outside of my best friend group.

Hermione and Ron will always be my best friends, there's no changing that, and I will always love Harry, but being around Ginny, Luna, and Neville just allows me a chance to escape the hectic world we live in.

They're so carefree and calm compared to the chaotic energy my other three friends exude. It's why I spent so much time with Neville while Harry was getting bashed by students and the media during fourth year. 

When we reach the others, the three of us head into the Three Broomsticks. Once we all have our Butter Beer we find a booth and sit. "So, how have things been with Harry? Still the same?" Ginny asks sympathetically. 

I nod, gripping my mug between both my hands and staring at it intently. "Yep. No change. Actually, I think his obsession has gotten worse. I'm just tired of hearing about that damn book." I grumble. 

"Don't worry Hope, I'm sure Harry will come to his senses eventually. He may be a boy, but he's awfully bright. That might out weigh how oblivious he is to your frustration." Luna tells me. I smile at this. 

"I don't know Lu, besides Ron I swear he's the most dense boy in this school. I'd have the wave it in front of his face and scream it at him for him to finally realize just how much it's effecting me." I let out a sigh of frustration as a frown graces my face. 

"He'll come around Hope, don't worry. I've seen the way you two look at each other. That kind of love is hard to ignore for long." Neville tells me with a sheepish grin. I smile at him. He's so sweet. Whoever he ends up with is lucky. My money is on Luna. They go together well. 

"Thanks Nev. You guys are right. Do y'all think I'm over reacting? I mean, this is a healthy amount of frustration, right? I've been told I hold grudged to an absurd extent and I'm easily angered." They all chuckle at my words while shaking their heads. 

"You're not over reacting. What Harry is doing isn't fair to you. It's putting a strain on your relationship and that's something to be upset over. Your reaction is perfectly normal." Ginny assures me. I nod, feeling a little bit better. "So, how do all of you like Slughorn?" 

With that the conversation steers away from Harry and my relationship. We spend the rest of the afternoon just talking and laughing with each other. This is exactly what I needed. An escape.