Chapter 8: Halloween

Hope's POV:

Harry and I are sitting next to each other in Charms, trying to master the levitating charm. Well, Harry is, I know that I can do it. I've been trying to teach him this entire class period. I look over at Ron and Hermione though when I hear arguing. 

"Do you think those two will ever get along?" I ask Harry. "Knowing those two, probably not, but they're just gonna have to deal with it. You and I are good friends and they are our best friends. They might suck it up eventually." He says. 

"Maybe. Anyways, let's get back to the spell. I'll demonstrate it for you real quick." I say, taking out my wand. He nods, watching carefully. "Wingardium Leviosa." I say, doing the wand movement. I do this just as Hermione is doing it. 

"Well, done, well done. Look everyone, Miss Granger and Miss Mikaelson have done it!" Professor Flitwick praises and we quickly lower our feather to the table once more. After that I proceed in teaching Harry, but he doesn't get it by the end of class. 

Afterwards I catch up with Hermione and we walk behind Harry and Ron. "'It's Leviosa, not leviosa. Honestly, she's a nightmare, no wonder she doesn't have any friends besides Hope." Ron says. Tears well in Hermione's eyes and she bumps shoulders with Ron as she storms past. 

I walk ahead of the two and stop in front of Ron, glaring angrily. "Honestly Ron, give her a break and stop being so damn stubborn to see that she was only trying to help you." I snap, quickly chasing after my bushy haired friend. I find her in the girl's bathroom. "Hermione." I call. 

"Go away Hope, I just want to be alone right now." She says. "Nope, not happening. I am not leaving you alone. It's not good to be alone when you're upset." I say. "How would you know?" She asks. "Because I was upset a lot at my old school." I tell her. 

"You? Really? Didn't you have a ton of friends?" She asks. "Not really. Most of them gave me space which only solidified my loner status." I tell her. I hear the door unlock and I walk into the toilet with her. I lock it back when I am inside. 

We don't talk, we just sit there, me hugging her, being there for her like the friend I wish I had when my dad left. I don't know how long we've been in here for, but I am almost positive that it is dinner time now. "Come on, we wouldn't want to miss the Halloween feast." I say. 

"It is Halloween, isn't it?" She asks. "Yeah, come on, let's go." I say, helping her stand. We exit the stall and suddenly I hear a growling behind. I freeze and slowly turn around. My eyes widen at the sight. In front of us is a huge troll. Hermione and I back up slowly, but it stalks towards us.

She runs into one of the stalls while I just duck as the troll's club comes down, splintering the wooden stalls. Hermione screams. I stand up quickly, raising my hands. "Fugere retro." I chant. The troll flies backwards which gives Hermione and I the opportunity to hide under the sinks. 

All of a sudden Harry and Ron run into the bathroom. "Hermione, Hope move!" Harry yells. They begin to throw bits and pieces of the the toilet stalls at it, hoping to distract it. It doesn't work and the troll swings its club at the sink I am under. I think quickly and move one over.

It smashes the sink that is now between Hermione and myself. "Hope!" Harry yells. "I'm fine, for now. We need to stop this thing." I say. Instead of answering, as the the troll swings it's club back, Harry runs forward and grabs on. He is flung into the air and lands on the troll's shoulders.

Confused, the troll tries to back Harry off with no luck. He does however, disarm Harry by causing Harry's wand to go up it's nose. "Ew." I mutter. Even angrier, the troll grabs Harry's leg and holds him upside down. 

"Do something!" Harry calls, trying to avoid the club being swung at him. "What?" Ron asks. "Ron!" I snap. "Anything." Harry calls back. "Swish and flick." Hermione calls. "Wingardium Leviosa!" Ron yells. 

The club in the troll's hand hovers in the air for a second before it comes down on the troll's head. Harry is dropped and has to back away as the troll collapses. "Is it, dead?" Hermione asks as the two of us crawl out from under the sinks. "No, just knocked out." Harry says. 

He then retrieves his wand from the troll's nose. "Ugh, troll boggies." Harry groans before wiping them off on a paper towel. Still, I wouldn't touch the thing without it being thoroughly disinfected. Suddenly Professors McGonagall, Snape, and Quirrell run into the bathroom. 

Professor McGonagall gasps. "Oh my goodness. Explain yourselves, both of you." McGonagall says, directing the command at Harry and Ron. I look over to Snape to see him glare at Harry. What is his deal? He has such a huge grudge against Harry for nothing. 

Harry and Ron begin fumbling over their words, trying to explain when Hermione speaks up. "It was my fault Professor McGonagall." "Miss Granger?" Professor McGonagall asks, not believing what she is hearing from her golden student. 

"I went looking for the troll, I'd read about them and thought I could handle it. I was wrong. If it weren't for Harry, Ron, and Hope, I'd probably be dead." Hermione lies. Hermione. Lies. To a teacher. I share a look with Harry and Ron, who are both as shocked as I am. 

"Be that as it may, it was an extremely foolish thing to do. I would have expected more rational behavior on your part and I am very disappointed in you Miss Granger. Five points will be taken from Gryffindor for your serious lack of judgement." Hermione's head bows in shame. 

"As for the three of you, I just hope you know how extremely fortunate you are. Not many first year students can take on a fully grown Mountain Troll and live to tell the tale. Five points will be rewarded to each of you, for sheer dumb luck." She says before ushering us out of the bathroom. 

Professor Quirrell stays behind to handle the troll. Once we are alone, heading back to the Common Room Harry speaks. "Good of you to get us out of trouble like that." "Mind you, we did save her and Hope's life." Ron says. I glare at the boy. If I could hex him right now I would. 

"Mind you they wouldn't have needed saving if you hadn't insulted Hermione." Harry quips back. I give him a grateful smile. "What are friends for?" Ron asks. Hermione and I smile at the two. I wrap my arms around Ron and Harry, ushering Hermione to do to the same with Ron. 

"I'm glad I met you guys. From now on we have each others backs, ok?" I ask. I hear a chorus of yeahs and there are smiles all around. We quickly reach the Common Room and Hermione and I say good night to the boys, heading to our dormitory. We both quickly shower and I'm in bed. 

Suddenly my bed dips and I look over and see Hermione sitting on the end of my bed. "What's up?" I ask her. "Don't play games with me Hope, what magic were you using tonight?" She asks. My breath catches in my throat, but my face remains neutral. 

"I don't know what you're talking about." I say. "Yes you do. You spoke a different language and I know for sure your wand wasn't out. We haven't learned wandless magic yet so I am going to ask you again, what magic were you using." She says. I sigh and sit up completely facing her.

"You know about the two types of witches right?" I ask her. "Yeah, sine and apud. We're all apud witches here." She says. "Not exactly. You see, apud witches cannot do sine magic, but sine witches can do apud magic. I am a sine witch Hermione." I say. Her eyes widen.

"They say sine witches use dark magic." She says. "Not all of us do. The school I told you about in America, well, it was a school for people like me." I say. I specifically leave out the bit about vampires and werewolves. Those were for another time. "That's so amazing." She says. 

"Yeah, it's cool, but Hermione, you can't tell anyone. The only people who know are Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Molly. I also don't want Harry and Ron knowing until I tell them. Alright?" I ask her. 

"Your secret is safe with me, but you are showing me some of your spells later." She says. "Deal. Goodnight Hermione." I say, laying down as she walks over to her own bed. "Night Hope." With that I close my eyes. I know now that I would do anything for these idiots that I call friends. 

They have become my family, despite my hesitation, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Once they know the whole truth, when the right time comes, I know they will accept me. Then I won't have to hide anymore. I can be free.