Chapter 3: Predictions of Death, Perfect First Day

Hope's POV:

After our talk Ron comes down pulls Harry up to their room and I head up to my room. Pavarti Patil and Lavender Brown are asleep already, but Hermione is still up, reading a book. Her head snaps up when she hears me enter. "What were you two talking about?" She asks. 

"Oh nothing, he was just worried because he also felt whatever the Dementor did to us." I say. She nods, and I know she doesn't fully believe me, but after an entire summer with each other we know the others limits. 

I walk into the bathroom with my stuff and shower before heading back out. Hermione is laying down now, but I know she isn't asleep. "Mione?" I call as I lay down in my own bed. "Yeah?" "Do you think this year will be different?" I ask. 

"If you mean, do I think it will be normal? No, I don't. Then again, when are our lives ever normal?" She asks. I smile at this. "Good, I don't want anything to change." With that I close my eyes and go to sleep. 

The next morning the four of us meet up to go to breakfast, but Hermione leaves early, I don't know why. I just shrug it off and Ron, Harry, and I make our way to our first class, Divination. Sounds interesting. When we get there we find a seat that seats four.  "Where's Hermione?" I ask. 

"No idea, thought we all had this class." He says. "So did I." I say. Professor Trelawney then begins talking. "Welcome children, in this room you  shall explore the noble art of divination. In this one room you shall discover that you possess the sight." 

She then proceeds to run into a table, cutting herself off. I hold back a laugh. I glance over and notice that Harry is surpassing laughter as well. This class should defiantly be interesting. "I am Professor Trelawney. Together we shall cast ourselves into the future." 

She's very eccentric, I'll give her that. "This term, we'll focus on Tasseomancy which is the art of reading tea leaves. So please, take the cup of the person sitting opposite you." She says. Harry and Ron switch cups while I wait for Hermione. 

"What do you see? The truth lies buried lake a sentence deep within a book, waiting to be read. But first, you must broaden your mind. First you must look beyond." She says. "What a load of rubbish." I hear. I turn and look shocked to find Hermione sitting right between Harry and Ron. 

"Where did you come from?" Ron asks. "Me? I've been here the whole time." She says. I squint. No she hasn't. I'll question her on it later. "You boy, is your grandmother quite well?" Trelawney asks Neville. "I think so." He says. "I wouldn't be so sure of that. Give me the cup." She says. 

Dean hands her Neville's cup. "Pity." She says before handing it back to him. He snatches it back. "Broaden your minds." She says, walking closer to us. She jumps suddenly, shocked. "Your aura is pulsing, dear. Are you in the beyond? I think you are." She tells Ron. 

Harry and I exchange a look. "Sure." He says, not sure how to answer the crazy lady. "Look at the cup, tell me what you see." She says. He looks down at Harry's cup. "Yeah, well, Harry's got sort of a wonky cross. That's trials and suffering." She nods, encouraging him to continue. 

"And uh, that there could be the sun and that's happiness. So...you're gonna suffer, but you're gonna be happy about it." He tells the scarred boy. "Give me the cup." Trelawney says. Ron hands her the cup which she immediately drops back on the table and shrieks at. 

"Oh, my dear boy. My dear, you have the Grim." She says. People begin muttering around us. Harry looks confused and grabs his cup, looking at it. "Taking form of a giant spectral dog. It's among the darkest omens in our world. It's an omen of death." One kid reads. 

I see Harry staring intently into his cup. When I look over I do in fact see the outline of a dog. Concerned I grab one of the hands that is clutching the cup tightly. He looks at me and I give him a comforting smile. He squeezes my hand in thanks. 

The rest of  class goes by without anymore predictions of death so that's something. When class is over all four of us head towards Care of Magical Creatures. I'm actually excited for this class, which is strange for me. 

Usually I'm kind of reluctant to go to class, but Hagrid is teaching this one and I'm excited to see what kind of creatures he's going to be showing us. "You don't think that Grim thing's got anything to do with Sirius Black do you?" Ron asks. 

"Oh honestly Ron. If you ask me, Divination's a woolly discipline." Hermione says. "Yep, if you make people believe false interpretations it could put someone in danger." I say, thinking about what my mom told me about the day I was born. 

"Exactly. Now, Ancient Runes, that's a fascinating subject." She says. I look at her confused. "Ancient Runes? Exactly how many classes are you taking this term?" Ron asks. "A fair few." "Wait, isn't Ancient Runes at the same time as Divination?" I ask, confused. 

"You'd have to be in two classes at once." Ron realizes. "Don't be silly Ronald, how can anyone be in two classes at once?" Hermione asks. I shake the thought of how she could be getting to class. She then begins to make fun of Trelawney. 

"Broaden your minds. Use your Inner Eye to see the future." She mocks. I laugh and she grins back at me. Despite the death prediction, I have a feeling that this year is going to be the most interesting and revealing one yet. I just hope the revelations are bad. 

Then again, when do I ever get the outcome I want?