Chapter 6: Felix Felicis

Hope's POV:

The first day of classes comes quickly and soon I'm standing next to Hermione in Advanced Potions, waiting for Professor Slughorn to start the lesson. When he finally does, about a fourth of the way through the lesson, the door opens. 

We all turn to see Harry and Ron walk into the room. I thought they had a free period. Hermione and I exchange confused glances as we shrug. "Ah! Harry, my boy, I was beginning to worry. We've brought someone with us, I see." Slughorn points out. "Ron Weasley, sir." Ron introduces.

He sounds almost out of breath. The two probably sprinted here. "But I'm dead awful at Potions, a menace, actually." Ron adds. He mutters a few more things before trying to head towards the exit, but Harry is quick to stop him. 

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out." Slughorn dismisses. "Uh, sorry sir. I haven't actually got my book yet, and nor has Ron." Harry explains. 

"Not to worry, get what you want from the cupboard." He tells them before continuing on the teach the class. Out of the corner of my eye I see Harry and Ron fighting over a book and smirk slightly. 

I must have zoned out because Hermione's arm shoots into the air beside me and I didn't even hear the question. "Yes, Miss...?" "Granger, sir." She introduces promptly before turning back two the potions in front of us and walking up to them. He must have asked what these are. 

"That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. It's terribly tricky to make." She explains. I hold back yet another smile at this. She would know. We spent a month in that girl's bathroom brewing it. 

"And this is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person, according to what attracts them. For example, I smell freshly mown grass, and new parchment, and spearmint...toothpaste." She finally finishes, hesitating slightly. 

Huh, I wonder what I would smell? I mean, Harry is my soulmate so I'd probably smell things associated with him. By this point Harry and Ron are standing to my right. I lean towards Harry. "Did you have to fight over the book so obviously?" I ask him. I can see him blush slightly. 

"This one's all worn." He says, holding up the book he's holding. Ron obviously won their fight. "But it's just a book. Both work equally well." He just shrugs and smiles down at me slightly. Hermione finally finds her place beside us once more. 

"Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible. But it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession." Slughorn explains. At this I see every other girl besides Hermione and myself walking slowly towards the cauldron. 

"And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." He finishes, putting a lid over the liquid. "Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one." One girl points out. I look to see a tiny vile filled with a clear liquid. Slughorn looks at it and smiles slightly. 

"Oh, yes. What you see before you ladies and gentlemen is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as-" "Liquid luck." Hermione interrupts quickly. Slughorn nods at her answer. 

"Yes, Miss Granger, Liquid luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you will find that all your endeavors succeed. At least until the effects wear off." He chuckles before setting it down once more. 

"So, this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vile of liquid luck to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death, the recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books." He explains. Huh, interesting.