Chapter 5: Dolores Unbridge

Hope's POV:

The energy is low when we reach Hogsmead station. We start to walk towards the carts that tote us to the school when Malfoy walks up behind us with his goons. "I'm surprised the Ministry is still letting you walk around free, Potter." I glare at the blonde.

"You better enjoy it while you can. I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it." He quips. I glare, but hold Harry back as he lunges for the blonde. "What'd I tell you? A complete nutter." Malfoy snaps. "JUST STAY AWAY FROM ME!" Harry yells at him.

I sigh and mutter the calming spell under my breath and instantly Harry relaxes. He turns to me with a small smile. "Thanks." I nod, smiling back. "It's only Malfoy. What do you expect?" Ron asks from beside us. I shrug. "Not much. I've stopped expecting things from him." I say.

Harry tenses again and I quickly move my hands from his arms, holding him back, to clasping his left in my right. Together we continue to the carts. When we reach them there are two left, but one is full. In the back is Cho Chang and her friends. She smiles at Harry before her cart takes off.

He has a strange look on his face that makes my heart squeeze tightly. He'll never look at me that way. Neville walks up behind us. "Hi guys." I smile at him and he grins back. "Hi Neville." The other three chime in unison.

I hear steps behind me and I guess Harry does to because we turn to see the Thestrals pulling the last cart. Harry's eyes widen at the sight of them. "What is it?" Harry asks. "What's what?" Ron asks, confused. "That, pulling the carriage." Harry points.

"Nothing's pulling the carriage Harry. It's pulling itself like always." Hermione insists. Harry walls around the side. "You're not going mad. I can see them too. You're just as sane as I am." A soft voice calls from the carriage.

I look and smile when I see Ginny's Ravenclaw friend, Luna Lovegood I believe. We all sit in the carriage. "I can see them as well Harry. Don't worry." I mutter to him. He sends me a grateful look. At least he's not going as mad as everyone believes Luna is.

She's a sweet girl, just very strange. "Everyone, this is Loony Love-Luna Lovegood." Hermione corrects when she notices my glare. She is giving Luna an apologetic look. "That's an interesting necklace." She comments. "It's a charm actually. It's keeps away the Nargles." There's silence.

"Hungry. I hope there's pudding." She mutters. "What's a Nargle?" Ron asks Hermione. "No idea." I sigh as the carriage begins to pull itself. When we get to the school we go through the normal protocol of announcements and the Sorting Ceremony before the feast begins.

As we eat I notice Seamus glaring at Harry and I

As we eat I notice Seamus glaring at Harry and I. I glare back and he turns his head away. "Don't worry about him. He's just being weird." I mutter to the boy next to me. He shoots me a unbelieving look.

"Then why do I get the feeling that he's not the only one who doesn't feel quite right about us?" He asks. I sigh. "Because you're probably right, but don't let them bother you. You never have before." "You're right." He mumbles. I smile widely. "I know I am." He finally grins at that.

Thank God. I was starting to get worried. Actually, I'm already worried. "Good evening children." Dumbledore calls out. Everyone stops eating and turns to face the Headmaster in his place at his podium.

"Now, we have two changed is staffing this year. We are pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking care of magical creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave." I furrow my brows. Where did Hagrid go? There is little to to applause.

"We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor 'good luck'. As usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you..."

He trails off when an annoyingly feminine giggle sounds. I scrunch my face in confusion. What the hell. I look towards the pink clad lady. She looks like the color threw up on her and monochromatic doesn't look good on her. It's kind of an eye sore if I'm being honest.

Everyone is looking at her now as she stands from behind the teacher's table and walks towards the front. "She was at my hearing. She works for Fudge." Harry whispers to me. My eyes widen as I turn back to her.

"Thank you Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends." "That's likely." Fred and George say sarcastically.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each Headmaster has brought something new to this historic school..." She sends a nod towards Dumbledore who nods back at her.

"...progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." She mutters, giving a slight giggle." Dumbledore starts the weak applause as she sits.

"Thank you Professor Umbridge. That really was most illuminating." He says, and I can tell he means 'illuminating' in a different sense. "Illuminating?" Ron asks as Dumbledore begins to talk about. "What's it mean?" Harry asks. Hermione and I exchange a worried look.

"It means the Ministry is interfering at Hogwarts." I explain, not liking this one bit. I look back at the woman who I now realize resembles a toad in looks. Why can't I have a good feeling about a DADA professor? Why does my gut always have to read bad around them?

I think the only one I've trusted from the get go is Remus. I feel a hand grab mine and I turn to look at Harry, confusion on my face. "Be careful this year. You saw what they did to Remus when they found out. I don't want you to be kicked out." I nod.

"I don't usually shift during the year. Only when I'm under a great amount of stress or in protection. I'll be fine." I tell him. He nods, still looking at me, worried. I give him a reassuring smile before turning back to the front. Let's just hope that the teacher is someone I can handle.