Chapter 6: Flying Lessons

Hope's POV:

After a week of classes, the time came for flying lessons. From my understanding, Quidditch is a lot like Wickery, a game my Aunt Caroline came up with years ago Ron tried to teach me, but I didn't care enough to pay attention. "Good afternoon class." The teacher says.

"Good afternoon Madam Hooch." We all answer back. "Welcome to your first flying lesson. Well, what are you waiting for? Everyone step to the left side of their broomstick. Come on now, hurry up." She ushers. Everyone quickly gets into place.

"Everyone stick your right hand over the broom and say 'up'." She tells us. I glance down. "Up." The broom flies straight into my hand. I glance over to see the same thing happen to Harry. We grin at each other. Ron and Hermione struggle with their own brooms.

At one point Ron becomes annoyed and yells with too much force. The broom comes up and smacks him in the face. Harry and I try to not laugh, but fail epically at it. "Shut up Harry, Hope." He whines. Finally everyone has their broom in their hands. It took quite awhile though.

"Now, once you've got hold of your broom, I want you to mount it. And grip it tight, we don't want you sliding off the end." Madam Hooch instructs. We do as told. I swing my leg over and look at her for more instruction.

"When I blow my whistle, I want each of you to kick off from the ground, hard. Keep your brooms steady, hover for a moment, then lean forward slightly and touch back down. On my whistle, three, two-" She cuts off and blows her whistle.

As soon as the shrill sound hits the air, Neville starts rising. "Mr. Longbottom." Madam Hooch calls. he looks terrified. She continues to call after him as his broom begins to carry him away. "Neville!" I call out. Over the past week I've grown fond of the clumsy boy. He's sweet.

Anyways, his broom continues to carry him higher and higher and I start to get worried. he doesn't know how to land. When He finally does fall off his cloak gets caught on a statues spear before he tumbles to the ground. We all rush over to him, Madam Hooch in the lead.

She kneels by his side and looks over him. She grabs his wrist and sighs. "A broken risk. Come on, I'll take you to the hospital wing. If I see one broom in the air, the rider will be out of Hogwarts before they can say 'Quidditch'." She threatens, leaving us alone.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Malfoy reach down and pick something up. It's Neville's remember-all that his Nan sent him this week. "If the fat lump had given this a squeeze, he might have remembered to fall on his fat arse." The boy sneers. "Give it here Malfoy." Harry says.

He steps forward through the crowd and I follow quickly behind. "No, I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find." He says. He mounts his broom and takes off a little. "How bout on the roof." He says. Harry glares at the boy.

"What's the matter Potter, bit beyond your reach?" Malfoy asks. Harry then begins to mount his broom and so do I. "Harry, Hope, no, you heard what Madam Hooch said, besides, you two don't even know how to fly." Hermione says, but we ignore her and take off towards Malfoy.

"Give it here Malfoy, or I'll knock you off your broom." Harry threatens. "Is that so?" Malfoy asks. Harry flies straight for him, but Malfoy ducks out of the way. I then go at him and then swivel, maneuvering around him until I have ahold of his arm.

I grab the remember-all, but Malfoy has ahold of my arm. "Harry, catch." I tell him. He nods and flies in the direction I'm facing. I lob the thing which ends up going through the spears the Neville's cloak is still attached to perfectly.

I guess I threw it too hard because Harry only nearly misses a window. "Dimittas." I mutter and Malfoy goes soaring. He catches himself on his broom and glares at me. I just give him a small, smirk before flying over and landing next to Harry.

The other first years gather around us congratulating us. "Harry Potter. Hope Mikaelson." I hear Professor McGonagall say from behind us. I let out a sigh as Harry and I turn around. "Follow me." She says. We pass off our brooms and follow the Head of House.

Instead of going towards her classroom to get chewed out we stop outside the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. "You two wait here." She says. She walks into the classroom and when she comes back she has a boy with her.

"Potter, Mikaelson, this is Oliver Wood. Wood, I have found you a seeker and a chaser." She tells him. Harry and I look at her confused. Wood's eyes widen. After that Professor McGonagall sends him back to class and conjures a rule book for Harry and I to look at.

Once she dismisses us we hurry off to find Ron who would be elated to find out since he is suck a huge Quidditch fan. "Seeker and chaser? But first years never make the house team, you two have to be the youngest players in a-" "century. According to McGonagall." I say.

"Hey, well done Harry, Hope. Wood's just told us." Fred says. "Fred and George are on the team too, beaters." Ron explains to Harry. I for one already knew this. Sometimes Ginny and I would go out and watch them play around.

"Our job is to make sure that you don't get bloodied up too badly. Can't make any promises though, rough game Quidditch." George says. "Brutal, but no one's died in years. Someone will vanish occasionally." Fred says.

"But they'll turn up in a month or two." George calls as we walk away from them. "Oh, go on Harry, Hope, Quidditch is great. Best game there is. You two will be great too." Ron says, noticing our worried faces. "But I've never played Quidditch." I say.

"Neither have I, what if I make a fool of myself?" Harry asks. "You won't make a fool of yourself Harry, it's in your blood. And Hope, from what I saw today, you won't either." Hermione says, walking up to stand on the right side of me. "What do you mean?" Harry asks.

"Follow me." She instructs. We shrug and follow the bushy haired girl through the corridors. We stop in front of a trophy case. Hermione points to a plaque. As seeker for Gryffindor house James Potter is listed for 1972.

"Whoa. Harry, you never told me your dad was a seeker too." Ron exclaims. "I didn't know." Harry mutters. After that I go off with Hermione to study in the library while Harry and Ron head back to Gryffindor Tower.

"Why did you fly up there today?" Hermione asks me as we finish putting the books on the shelves in which we got them. I look at her confused as we gather our bags and exit the library. "What do you mean?" I ask her.

"What I mean is that Malfoy was only egging on Harry, yeah I know you're friends with Neville as well, but not enough of one to risk that for him. Also, Harry had it handled." Hermione says. "I-I don't know. There was just something in me telling to help Harry out." I say.

She looks ahead of herself, deep in thought. "What?" I ask. "Oh, nothing. Just thinking about this one book I read, but it doesn't matter. Please try not to do that again, break the rules I mean." She says. "I won't if it is not necessary." I promise.

"Good, now, we have to hurry, it almost after hours." She says. I nod and we race back to the tower. Once we're there we run up the steps to the girl's dormitory. Once we are in we take turns taking showers then we head to bed. As I fall asleep bright green eyes fill my head and I smile.