Chapter 4: The Goblet of Fire

Hope's POV:

Halfway through the meal Filch walks in with four other wizards, carrying a giant gold container between them. It's massive and intricate. I wonder what it is. I turn to Hermione for an explanation, but she just shrugs. "I have no idea." I look back at it.

Whatever it is, it must be important to the Triwizard Tournament. That's when Dumbledore stands up. "Your attention please! I'd like to say a few words." The talking quiets down and we all turn to face him, waiting for him to continue.

"Eternal glory. That is what awaits the student who wins the Triwizard Tournament, but to do this, that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks. For this reason the ministry seemed fit to impose a new rule."

I zone out of his speech when I pick up on the creak of a door. I look behind the teacher's table to see a man hobble in. He has a fake eye and a large staff. I get a bad feeling from him. A very bad feeling. Suddenly Dumbledore is interrupted by the ceiling thundering above us. What?

That's never happened before. The man at the door raises his wand and shoots a white stream of light at the ceiling, calming it instantly. "Who's that?" Seamus asks. "That's Mad-Eye Moody." Ron answers. "Alistor Moody? The Auror?" Hermione asks, shocked. Mad-Eye.

"Auror?" Dean asks. "Dark wizard catcher. Half the cells in Azkaban are filled thanks to him. He's supposed to be mad as a hatter thought these days." Ron explains. He looks mad as a hatter. He limps to the front of the stage where Dumbledore is. I see him look directly at Harry and I glare.

Something isn't right about him. He then looks at me. His mechanical eye seems calculating. It unnerves me. After he shakes Dumbledore's hand he walks off to the side and takes a swig from a flask. "What's that he's drinking do you suppose?" Seamus asks. "No idea." Harry replies.

I see him shudder. "That's definitely not pumpkin juice." I mutter. That's when the ministry worker, Bartemius Crouch I think I heard, reaches the front of the stage. He looks nervous to tell us the news.

"After due consideration, the ministry has concluded that, for their own safety, no student under the age of 17 shall be allowed to put forth their name for the Triwizard Tournament." He states. This immediately causes those just under 17 to protest.

I don't see why you would want to go through this tournament. Fred and George are the loudest I think. "SILENCE!" Dumbledore yells. This quiets everyone. He raises his hand and then brings it down, gesturing to the gold pillar.

Suddenly the gold starts to melt away, leaving a giant goblet in its place. Once the gold is gone blue flames erupts from the top of it. I watch in fascination. What is this thing? What's use does it serve? It's not just a fancy decoration, I know that much.

"The Goblet of Fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves into the tournament shall mearly write their name on a piece of parchment and throw it into the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly. If chosen, there's no turning back." Gee, that's uplifting.

"As of this moment, the Triwizard Tournament has begun." With that we are dismissed to go back to our houses. We all walk up to Gryffindor Tower, following the rest of our house. Soon Hermione and I part ways with the boys and head up to our dormitory.

When we get there I quickly shower and change into some pjs. I'm the last one to climb in bed and after an hour I decide I'm not getting any sleep so I head down to the Common Room. Of course Harry is already there, sitting in our usual spot. I grin and walk over to him.

"Hey." I mutter. He looks back at me and smile. I circle around to the front of the couch and sit next to him, curling my feet up and laying my head on his shoulder. He takes the blanket beside him and wraps it around the two of us.

We sit there in silence for a moment, just sitting and enjoying the other's company. "What are you thinking about?" I ask, breaking the silence. "I sent a letter today, too Padfoot. I'm just worried that he'll risk himself at the news. I don't want him endangering himself for me."

I nod in understanding. "Know that he's smart. He's going to do what he's going to do. There's nothing that could stop him from doing so. Just know that he knows what he's doing." He nods, laying his head on top of mine. "I know he does, but that doesn't stop me from worrying."

"I know, and it's ok to worry. It means you care about him. That's a good thing Harry, it's human." He nods a little before we return to silence. It's usually like this between us. Harry spent a lot of time at the Burrow this summer.

We spent most nights sitting in the living room watching the fire slowly die together. It's peaceful and it only solidified what I was beginning to realize about myself. I'm falling for Harry Potter, and I have no way or want to stop it.

Mine and Harry's relationship has evolved since we first met on Platform 9 3/4 our first year. At first we were friends. Then we were best friends. Then he was simply my school girl crush, but after I revealed everything about myself to him and he accepted me with open arms.

That school girl crush gradually started to shift and turn into something terrifying. Love. The amount of love I have for Ron and Hermione is a little overwhelming, but the amount of love I've begun to develop for Harry is too much. I can't lose him. I don't know what I'd do if I lost him.

That's why I can't tell him how I truly feel. If I do then somehow he'll be taken away from me. I won't lose him.