Chapter 18: Poisoned

Hope's POV:

Hermione was appalled by what happened over break. She said it's too easy for him to get to us. Specifically Harry. Then she saw Ron and Lavender and proceeded to leave to vomit. Later that night Dumbledore called Harry to his office to look into some more memories.

With a promise to tell me everything when he returns he leaves and I sit on the Common Room couch for hours, reading and waiting. When he returns he looks stressed. "What is it?" I ask, standing. "I have to get Slughorn's memory." "I thought we already knew this." 

"Yes, but now it's important. Extremely important." "Explain." He launches into everything Dumbledore told him. I sigh. "How about we sleep on this. Come back to it tomorrow. You can talk to him after one of his classes and then we can work out everything afterwards, ok?" I ask. 

He nods, not looking too enthused about it, but agreeing nonetheless. The next day comes and goes and soon I'm back in the Common Room, sitting and doing some DADA homework. Harry talked with Slughorn today and apparently it didn't go too well. 

Slughorn caught onto him so he's sulking upstairs. I'm almost done with my assignments when i hear rushed footsteps coming from the Boy's Dormitory staircase. I while around and see Harry with a very happy looking Ron. 

"Where are you going?" I ask, standing as they make their way towards the portrait hole. "Hope, excellent. Ron, Hope knows Romilda so she'll introduce you to her." Harry says, shoving Ron forward. I give Harry a confused look. 'Love potion. Slughorn.' He mouths. 

I nod, putting on a fake smile. "Sure thing. Come on." I say. Ron's smile widens as he follows me and Harry through the corridor. "Let me guess, the potion was for you?" "Yeah, chocolates on my bed." I growl lowly. 

"Let's worry about Ron first and then I can talk you out of tearing her apart later." "Fine." I grumble, not letting the matter go, but portraying that I have to Harry. When we reach Slughorn's office I knock on the door. He open's the peep hole. 

"I'm sorry sir, we wouldn't bother you if it wasn't absolutely essential." Harry tells him in an apologetic tone. "Where's Romilda?" Ron asks from behind us. "What's the matter with Wenby?" Slughorn asks. Harry leans forward. "Very powerful love potion." He whispers. 

I barely pick it up with my hearing. "Very well. Better bring him in." Once we get Ron inside and settled, Slughorn gets to work. "I would have thought the two of you would have whipped up a remedy for this in no time, Harry, Hope." 

"I thought this called for a more practiced hand, sir." Harry says. As he does this, Ron stands and hugs Slughorn round the middle. This whole situation is kinda funny if you think about it. I'm fighting my back my laughter. 

'It's not funny, your friend and almost your boyfriend has been potioned.' I remind myself. "Hello darling. Fancy a drink?" Ron asks Slughorn. I snort lightly. "Perhaps you're right." Harry and I walk around and grab Ron, guiding him towards the couch once more. 

"I'm sorry, by the way, Professor, about earlier today. Our...our misunderstanding." Harry apologizes as we get Ron situated. "Oh, not at all. All water under the bridge, you know? Correct?" Slughorn asks. 

"I expect you're tired of it after all these years. All the questions, about Voldemort." Harry says, walking back over to Slughorn while I babysit Ron. He tries to stand again and I help him over to the other couch where he faces Slughorn and Harry. 

He falls off the back and Harry rushes to help me put him back on the couch once more. Good thing Slughorn is done with the potion. He puts it into a goblet and hands it to Ron. "Here you go dear boy." "What's this?" "Tonic for the nerves." Slughorn lies. He just grins and takes a drink. 

Slowly the smile falls from his face. "What happened to me?" "Love potion." I tell him, crossing my arms. "A bloody strong one at that." Slughorn grins, taking the glass from him. "I feel really bad." He grumbles. He doesn't look too great either. 

"You need a pick-me-up dear boy. Got butter beer, wine, dazzling oak-matured mead. I had other intentions for this, but I think, given the circumstances..." Slughorn trails off while pouring us all a glass. He hands me and Ron our glasses first before turning to Harry. 

Shrugging Ron and I clink our glasses together and take a sip. Instantly I feel it. A searing pain shoots through my body and suddenly, my legs give out. I hit the floor hard. My body is shaking uncontrollably. I can hear talking and other things around me, but I can't make them out. 

My eyes are open, but I can't see anything. Everything is black and pain is the only thing I feel. This is not the way I die. My airways are clogged. I can't breath. A fire fills me, intensifying the pain I'm already feeling.

Just as I'm about to give in, the shaking has stopped and I can feel that I'm lying still, something is shoved into my mouth and a hand is placed over it to ensure whatever it is goes down. I can hear now as the pain starts to lessen, though I can't seem to take a breath in. 

"Breath! Hope breath!" It's Harry. I try to force myself, but it isn't working. I'm on the brink of unconsciousness when suddenly my airways are clear. My eyes fly open as I gasps for air, sitting up, trying to catch my breath. Someone is doing the same next to me. 

I realize Ron is in the same predicament as I am. I only now realize I'm in someone's arms. I look up to see Harry, his eyes shining with tears as he stares at me in complete and utter relief. "You're ok." He mutters, holding me closer to his side. 

His words sound like he's trying to assure himself as well. "You're alright." "I'm tired." I mutter, eyes closing as it hits me. "Sleep love. I've got you. I've got you. You're alright." He mutters as I immediately pass out.