Epilogue: Phoenixes

Hope's POV:

It's been a few days since the attack and Dumbledore's death. I've refused to leave his office. McGonagall allows me to be there, even set up a pallet on the floor for me. I've sat in the same spot for several days now. 

This is where I started my journey in this world and now, it's the symbol of my new life since I can never return to my old world. I just wish I could say goodbye to Freya and Rebekah and Kol and Marcel and Davina and Keelin. All of them. 

Currently Harry is standing by my side as I sit here, motionless. McGonagall comes in. "Potter, Hope, in light of what has happened, if you should need to talk to someone-" Harry automatically goes to leave. 

"You should know, Professor Dumbledore...you meant a great deal to him." There's silence. "Come on Hope." Harry says. I shake my head. "He sighs and walks over to me, picking me up bridal style and carrying me towards the door. I let him. 

I don't have the energy to fight him on this. "Potter wait." McGonagall says. He stops and turns, me still in his arms. "Professor Dumbledore, he left this to me, just in case something happened. Hope, he said it's imparitive that you read it and not be angry with him." She says. 

She hands me a letter. I take it gingerly. "How can you be mad at a dead man Professor." I mutter. With that Harry carries me out of the office and to the Astronomy Tower where Ron and Hermione are. I don't want to be here. I really don't want to be here. 

"Just for a few moments love." Harry whispers to me. He places me on the steps with Ron while him and Hermione overlook the castle grounds. I lean my head on Ron's shoulder and he wraps a brotherly arm around me. "Do you think he would have done it...Draco?" Hermione asks. 

"No. No, he was lowering his wand. In the end, it was Snape. It was always Snape. And I did nothing." His words hit me. I see him hand over the fake locket. I realized it was fake the first day in Dumbledore's office. I when to look at it and it opened, revealing the note. 

"To the Dark Lord. I know I will be dead long before you read this, but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more."

She then my see what I saw the first time. "R.A.B.? R.A.B?" She asks. "I don't know. But whoever they are, they have the real Horcrux. Which it means it was all a waste. All of it." There's a bit of silence. 

"I'm not coming back Hermione. I've got to finish whatever Dumbledore's started. If she still wants, Hope is coming with me." He glances back at me. I can see his heart breaking as he stares into my practically dead eyes. I simply nod. 

No matter what has happened I will always be there for him when it matters most. "I don't know where that'll lead me, but we'll let you and Ron know where we are when we can." He tells her. I internally roll my eyes. Like Hermione is going to let us go off on our own. 

"I've always admired your courage, Harry. But sometimes you can be really thick. You two don't really think that you'll be able to find all those Horcruxes, just the two of you, do you? You two need us." She says. I agree. 

We wouldn't be anywhere near where we are now without Ron and Hermione. "I never realized how beautiful this place was." Harry mutters. Suddenly a loud caw is heard. For the first time in days, I make myself stand and walk over to where Harry and Hermione are standing. 

A ghost of a smile appears on my face as I spot Fawkes flying over head. She comes down and lands in front of me. "Hello pretty bird." I say, running my hand over her feathers. Phoenixes represent new life. I can only hope, this new life is better than the last.