Chapter 16: Meeting Aragog

Hope's POV:

We follow the spiders deeper and deeper. The deeper we go the more there are. We are constantly trying to not step on them. "Harry, Hope, I don't like this. Harry, Hope, I don't like this at all." Ron says. "Shush." Harry tells him. 

We look through the bottom of one of the trees and it's covered in spiders. "Can we go back now?" Ron asks. "Come on." I tell him as Harry and I dive into the little opening. When we come out on the other side there are more and more spiders and more and more webs. 

I don't mind spiders. I mean, we use them in potions and stuff, but this many living ones is sending chills down my spine. At least it's not snakes. I remind myself. We come to a stop in front of what appears to be giant rocks blocking our way. It's not. "Who is it?" 

My heart stops for a second. Please don't be a giant spider. Please don't be a giant spider. It's eyes open. It's a giant spider. Ron is freaking out behind Harry and I. I pull myself together and put on an unaffected face when in reality I'm freaking out. "Don't panic." Harry tells Ron. 

"Hagrid, is that you?" He asks again. "We're friends of Hagrid." Harry says. The spider gets closer and closer to us. I find myself gripping onto Harry's hand tightly. He looks over at me and I just shake my head at him, willing him to ignore it and keep his eyes on the giant spider.

It's slowly crawling towards us. "And you, you're Aragog aren't you." Harry says. I can sense the fear in his voice. "Yes, Hagrid has never sent men into our hollow before." Aragog says. His voice is chilling and it's not making me feel any better. 

"He's in trouble. Up at the school there have been attacks. They think it's Hagrid. They think he opened the Chamber of Secrets. Like before." I explain, trying to keep my voice calm. I see Ron glancing at the spiders all around up from the corner of my eye. 

"That's a lie. Hagrid never opened the Chamber of Secrets." Aragog says. "Then you're not the monster." Harry realizes. "No, the monster was born in the castle. I came to Hagrid from a distant land, in the pocket of a traveler." He says. 

"Harry, Hope." Ron cries almost silently, pulling on our sleeves. "Shush." Harry warns him. "If you're not the monster, then what did kill that girl fifty years ago?" Harry asks. "We do not speak of it. It is an ancient creature that we spiders fear above all others." "But have you seen it?" I ask. 

"I never saw any part of the castle but the books in which Hagrid kept me. The girl was discovered in a bathroom, but accused, Hagrid brought me here." Aragog says. "Harry, Hope." Ron whines, tears in his eyes at this point. "What?" Harry asks, annoyed now. 

Ron points up to the hundreds of spiders dangling above our heads. My heart stops beating for a second. I squeeze Harry's hand so hard I'm pretty sure it's in danger of breaking. "Well, thank you, we'll just go." Harry says, his voice a little pitchier than it was a moment ago. 

"Go? I think not. My sons and daughters do not harm Hagrid on my command, but I cannot deny them fresh meat when it wanders so willingly into our midst. Goodbye friends of Hagrid." Aragog says. "Can we panic now?" Ron asks. A spider jumps right next to us. 

"Know any spells?" Ron asks. "One, but it's not powerful enough for all of them." Harry explains. "Hope?" I roll my eyes. "Stand back." I raise my hands. "Corporis impetu!" I yell. Several spiders around us fly backwards. Not enough. "Anything else?" Harry asks. 

"Ron, grab ahold of me. It's a mass spell and well, I don't want it to hit you." I say. He nods and grips my shoulder. Harry moves his hand to my other shoulder so I have both hands free. I raise them again. 

"Donn moi se la vroh kondu feh aila ra donn toi moi. Donn moi. Salacku tusdeh do. Vala!" I yell. The spiders fall to the ground, screeching in pain. "I can't hold them much longer!" I call, concentrating. Suddenly I hear the sound of a car headed this way. 

Mr. Weasley's flying car that Harry told me disappeared into this forest on the first night appears, plowing through the pain filled spiders. "Come on." Harry syas, dragging the two of us towards the car. When we get in it drives away. 

I have no time to get in the back so I'm stuck between the boys, basically sitting on Harry. I drop the spell and the angry spiders chase after us. "I think they're mad now." I explain. Ron whimpers. If the situation was less serious then I would be laughing. 

The spiders catch up quickly. We're driving backwards through the woods and when we can't see any spiders anymore Ron stops. "Why did you stop?" I ask. "I think we've lost them." He says. Suddenly a spider reaches into the car, strangling Ron with on of his legs. 

I then remember the spell from the journal. I grab my want and point it at the spider holding Ron. "Arania Exumai!" I yell, sending the spider flying. "Punch it!" I yell at the red head. He doesn't need to be told twice. He whips the car around and we speed through the air. 

"Get us in the air!" Harry tells him. Ron tries. "The flying gears jammed!" Ron cries. I groan and urge him to move faster. "Hope, any more spells?" Harry asks. "Not unless you want me to burn down the forest." I say. He sighs. Suddenly there's spiders in front of us. 

"Let me try! " I yell, moving Ron's hand off the gear. With all my werewolf strength I shift the gear and we fly right over the oncoming spiders. Harry and Ron both sigh in relief. That is until we start falling once we're past the tree line. We land beside Hagrid's house. 

Harry, Ron, Fang, and I quickly exit the vehicle. "Follow the spiders, follow the spiders. If Hagrid ever gets out of Azkaban, I'll kill him." Ron says. I don't even reply. I'm so exhausted that I collapse onto my butt. "Hope? Are you ok?" Harry asks. I nod. 

"Fine, just tired. Magic that I was doing takes more out of me than wand magic." I explain. He nods, walking over and helping me up. Suddenly the car starts moving and drives right back into the forest. 

"I mean, what was the point of sending us in there? What have we found out?" Ron asks. "We know one thing, Hagrid never opened the Chamber of Secrets. He was innocent." I look at the two boys. Where do we go from here?