Chapter 4: The Sorting Hat

Hope's POV:

Once we are off the boats we are ushered into the castle until we are stopped at the top of the stairs by Professor McGonagall who I met this past summer. Brilliant Witch, strict woman, but motherly to a point. 

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you shall pass through these doors and join your class mates, but before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin." She snarls a bit on Slytherin.

"Now, while you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points will be awarded the House Cup-" 

"TREVOR!" A boy yells out Lunging forward and grabbing a toad at the Professor's feet. She gives him a stern look and he slinks back into the crowd. "The Sorting Ceremony will begin momentarily." With that McGonagall disappears through the giant doors behind her. 

"So it's true then, what they were saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." A boys voice says. A boy with white blonde hair steps up and I instantly get a bad feeling. I don't trust him one bit. Mutters go through the crowd about Harry. 

"This is Crabb and Goyal, and I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." Ron snorts a little. "Think my name's funny do you? Red hair and a hand-me-down robe, you must be a Weasley." Malfoy says, smirking. Ron lowers his head a little. 

"You'll find out Potter, that some wizarding families are better than others Potter, you don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Malfoy offers, sticking his hand out to Harry. Harry just glares. 

"I think I can tell the wrong sort out for myself, thanks." Harry says. McGonagall appears behind Malfoy clearing her throat. He moves off to the side. "We are ready for you now, follow me." She says, and with that, we are lead into what Snape calls, the Great Hall. It is magnificent. 

I even take a change to look around at all the students sitting at four long tables. At the front of the hall McGonagall comes to a stop next to a stool with an old witch's hat on it. She has a roll of parchment in her hands. 

"Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." She informs us. The Headmaster then stands up. "I have a few start of term notices I would like to announce. First years please note that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students."

He then continues. "Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to anyone who does not want to die a most painful death. Thank you." With that he sits back down. 

What could you be keeping in a school that dangerous? "When I call your name, you shall come forth, I will place the sorting hat on your head and you will be sorted into your houses. Hermione Granger." McGonagall calls. "It's ok, relax." Hermione mutters to herself. 

"Mental that one, I'm telling you." Ron says and I elbow him for it. "Hey! What was that for?" He asks me. "For being rude, now hush." I snap. The bushy haired girl sits on the stool and has the hat placed on her head. After a little thinking they hat calls out, "Gryffindor!" 

Smiling Hermione skips over to the red clad table. "Draco Malfoy." The hat didn't even get a chance to touch his head before it called out. "Slytherin." "There's not a witch or wizard who went bad that wasn't in Slytherin." Ron tells us. "Susan Bones." 

As the girl goes up there I see Harry staring at one of the Professors. He then gasps and rubs his scar. "Are you all right Harry?" I ask him. "I'm fine." He says, but I can tell he's lying. "Ronald Weasley." Ron glances at us, nervous before going up there. 

"Ah, another Weasley. I know just where to put you. Gryffindor!" Ron looks relieved as he joins Hermione and some other red heads, most likely his brothers, at the Gryffindor table. "Hope Mikaelson." 

Taking a deep breath and receiving a reassuring look from Harry, I walk up and sit on the stool. 'Ah, you are an interesting character aren't you. You have a lot of darkness in you. You've lost a lot, and you are extremely powerful.' 'You don't know me.'

'Oh, but it do. You use anger instead of rationality, but there is still good in your heart for those you care for.' 'Please, not Slytherin. I'm angry, not evil.' 'Not Slytherin? Better be...' "Gryffindor!" Sighing in relief I take off the hat and join Ron and Hermione. 

Harry is next and after awhile he too is placed into Gryffindor. Soon the sorting is over and the hat and stool are removed. Professor McGonagall moves to the right hand chair of Dumbledore. "Your attention please." She says. Dumbledore stands up. 

"Let the feast, begin." He says and food appears on the tables. Oh I am so teaching Josie this when I get back to Mystic Falls. I quickly load my plate up with food and begin to eat, listening to the conversation around me, but never joining in. I don't need to know everyone's life stories. 

I won't be here for much longer. Hopefully. The feast soon comes to an end and we are lead from the Great Hall towards the dormitories. I'm sharing a bedroom with three other girls. Hermione, Pavarti Patil, and Lavender Brown. 

Pavarti and Lavender kept to themselves while I took this time to know Hermione a little bit. The overly excited girl wouldn't stop talking which is fine, for one I don't talk much, two, I do not have much to say anyways. 

"Oh, I've been talking about myself all this time. I don't even know where you're from. Which part of America are you from?" She asks. "Well, I'm originally from New Orleans, in Louisiana, but when I was seven I was enrolled in a boarding school in Mystic Falls, Virginia." I say. 

"Fascinating. I've never moved before. What do your parents do?" She asks me. "Uh, my mom, was a sort of chief of a tribe. My dad came from old money." I say. "You're native American?" She asks. "Sort of." "Wait, was?" She asks. "Uh, my parents died a little over a year ago." I say. 

"Oh my God, I am so sorry. I shouldn't have asked. Do you live with your grandparents?" She asks. "No, both sets are dead as well. I was sent to live with Dumbledore this past year, but since he's always so busy, I am now under the guardianship of Molly Weasley, Ron's mom." I say. 

"You live with Ron and his family?" She asks. "More like I take residence in their house, but yeah." I say. "Well, if you ever need someone to talk to, you can talk to me. Truth is, I've never had a friend before." She says. I stare at her in shock. "Really? You want to be my friend?" I ask. 

"Well yeah." She says. I smile and hug her. I find myself opening up a tiny bit, despite my want to not get close to someone while I'm here. Maybe this will be good for me. Maybe I can have the life I've always wanted her. 

Maybe I can finally drop my walls that I built up and start letting people in. Maybe.