Chapter 12: A Bit of Luck For Ron's First Game

Hope's POV:

The first quidditch match of season is finally here and Ron is insanely nervous. Despite the calming spells I've done, nothing seems to be easing his nerves. "So how was it then?" He asks after a bit of silence. Hermione, Harry, and I exchange a confused look.

"How was what?" Hermione asks. "Your dinner party?" "Pretty boring actually." She tells him. More silence. Why is it this awkward right now. "Slughorn's having a Christmas one too actually. And we're meant to bring someone." She tells him. I grin. She's finally gonna ask him out.

Ron ruins it with a simple sentence. "I expect you'll be bringing McLaggen. He's in the Slug Club, isn't he?" I roll my eyes. "Actually, I was going to ask you." She snaps. Harry and I exchange a look. It reads one thing. Awkward.

I'm very much for Hermione and Ron finally confronting their feelings for each other, but this year is gonna be miserable is they keep doing things like this. "Really?" Before she can answer Lavender Brown walks up to him.

"Good luck today, Ron. I know you'll be brilliant." She tells him, an intense tone in her voice. I cringe slightly. Lavender isn't the worst girl, but her clingy tendencies tend to get old very quickly. Immediately after she's gone he leans forward as if to whisper, which he doesn't do.

"I'm resigning. After today's match, McLaggen can have my spot." Harry and I exchange a look, and I automatically know what he's doing. "Have it your way. Juice?" He asks, passing Ron a goblet. "Sure." "Hello everyone."

We all turn to see Luna with a large stuffed lions head on top of her own head. "You look dreadful Ron. Is that why you put something in his cup?" Hermione looks confused at her words. "Is it a tonic?" She asks.

Harry very quickly flashes the Felix Felicis vile as he puts it back into his pocket. I bite back a smile. He didn't use it. "Liquid luck." Hermione mutters before eyeing Ron. Her eyes widen when she sees him staring intently at his goblet. "Don't drink it Ron." She hisses. He quickly does so.

Harry and I are biting back our smiles. Well played Potter. Well played. "You could be expelled for that." Hermione warns Harry. "I don't know what you're talking about." He shrugs. Ron is grinning now. "Come on Harry, Hope. We've got a game to win."

With that he walks confidently out of the Great Hall. Harry and I stand up, abandoning our breakfasts. As we walk out of the hall Harry wraps an arm around my shoulders, pulling me into him. He's grinning widely. I lean into him so Ron, who isn't too far ahead of us, doesn't hear.

"When did you get so smart?" I ask, a smile on my lips. He grins down at me. "I don't know what you're talking about love." I just laugh and reach up, pecking him on the lips as we continue our journey to the Gryffindor locker rooms.

It's snowing when we get on the pitch, a bit cold, but not the worst weather we've played in

It's snowing when we get on the pitch, a bit cold, but not the worst weather we've played in. We're playing Slytherin, but with Ginny and Demelza at my side, I think we'll be just fine. Plus, with Ron thinking he has Felix Felicis inside of him, he should do just fine.

Just like I expected, the Slytherin's almost immediately start beating at the three of us. Poor Demelza wasn't prepared for this and almost immediately is knocked out of the game. Poor girl. She honestly lasted longer than most new players against the Slytherin brutality.

It's just me and Ginny now. Not a bad combo though. We soar through the air, dodging the sea o green and silver and wracking up points quickly. Even if Harry doesn't catch the snitch, though I don't see him not catching it, we're already up enough points to win if they catch it.

Ron is doing amazing, stopping anything that comes at him. He catches one and hurls it towards me with a decent amount of speed. I catch it and soar towards the Slytherin side of the field. I spot a bludger coming right at me, but I easily dodge it, tossing it to a very open Ginny.

The biggest weakness for the Slytherin team, the hoard around the quaffle, they don't defend the other chaser(s). This gives us an advantage. Once she sees that I'm open and near the goal, Ginny hurls to towards me.

She almost over shoots, but I latch onto it with one hand before using that momentum to hurl it towards the open goal. It sails through easily and everyone but Slytherin cheers. Sometimes I feel bad that everyone goes against them, but when I see how they treat everyone, I get it.

The next time she has the ball Ginny manages to shake two of the chasers before flinging the quaffle towards the goal which barely gets past the keeper and other chaser who both hit the ring hard, falling to the ground. An easy win as far as Slytherin matches go.

After Harry catches the snitch we all head back to the Common Room to celebrate. The entire party is just people chanting 'Weasley' over and over again. Hermione, Harry, and I are standing in the back, waiting for the crowd to die down a bit.

"You really shouldn't have done it." Hermione tells Harry once it's quiet enough to hear each other. "I know. I suppose I could have just used a Confundus Charm." He grins. I smirk. I knew it was her. She tenses and her eyes widen.

"That was different. That was tryouts. This was an actual game." Harry pulls out the vile. Her eyes widen at it being completely full. "You didn't put it in." He shakes his head. "Ron only thought you did." He nods, still grinning. I laugh and lean into his side a bit more.

We glance back towards our friend. In an instant, Lavender pulls him into her, crashing her lips onto his. Everyone cheers, but Hermione instantly leaves. I sigh. "Come on, let's go clean up Ron's mess." I mutter, grabbing Harry's hand and pulling him in the direction she went.