Chapter 7: The Chamber of Secrets

Hope's POV:

I wake up the next morning to Harry shaking me. "Hope, wake up." He says. I groggily open my eyes. I'm still the in the Common Room with my head on Harry's shoulder. "What time is it?" I ask, lookin around. It's still dark outside the windows. 

"About an hour before everyone will probably wake up. I though you might want to get into your room before Hermione wakes up and hounds you with questions." He says. I sigh and nod, lifting my head from his shoulder. 

"You're right. I'll see you later." I say, standing up and heading to the Girl's Dormitory. Once inside I head straight for the bathroom, taking advantage of the others being asleep. I quickly shower then change into a fresh set of robes. 

Once I'm done I sit on my bed with one of my grandmother's grimoires, waiting for Hermione to wake up. Thirty minutes later I hear a groan. I turn to see Hermione starting to wake up. "Hope? Why are you up so early?" She asks. "No reason." I say, shrugging. 

She looks like she doesn't believe me, but decides not to push it. Thank God, she already thinks Harry and I are in love with each other from last year, better to not get her hopes up. She gets up and gets ready for the day. Once she's done we head downstairs for breakfast. 

For once Ron and Harry are waiting for us at our usual place on the table. They're never up before us. "Why are you two up so early?" Hermione asks. "Harry woke me up when he came in this morning." Ron grumbles, eating a bite of food.

Hermione's eyes widen and her head snaps to me. She gives me her 'we're talking about this later' look and I sigh in defeat. Well, my hope of avoiding the topic of last night is now squashed. Breakfast is no different than usual and soon we're headed towards Transfiguration. 

This year we don't have assigned seating. Just as I go to sit next to Hermione, Harry grabs my arm and pulls me into the seat next to him. I give him a confused look as Hermione yells, "HEY!" "Sorry Hermione, but Hope is the only reason I passed this class last year. 

I'm not leaving anything to chance." He says in all seriousness. I hold back a laugh as Hermione is forced to sit next to Ron. I thought they got over their differences last year, but they're right back to their bickering. Soon McGonagall arrives and everyone is quiet. 

The first thing we start to work on is transfiguring a rat into a cup. I've gotten the hang of it, but Harry seems to be having a hard time. He tries again and fails again. I sigh and grab his wand hand, making him relax his grip on his wand. 

"Relax your hand, you're tense. The stiffer you are the harder it is to do the spell. Magic should come easy to you, like breathing." I instruct. He nods, trying it again, only this time he is focused as well as relaxed. I smile as the rat turns into a shiny silver goblet. 

"There, see. What did I say?" I gloat. "Thanks Hope." He mumbles. I smile as I turn to see Ron turn his rat into a fuzzy brown goblet with a tale. I hold back a laugh. Hermione is rolling her eyes at the red head, annoyed. Suddenly Hermione raises her hand. 

"Yes Miss Granger?" McGonagall asks. "Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets." She says. I scrunch my eye brows. The Chamber of Secrets? The one the bloody wall was alluding to? "Very well." McGonagall says, although she looks hesitant to tell us.

"You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin." She states. Why is everything always a thousand years old? 

Especially my family. "Now three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not." She says. "One guess who." I mutter to Harry. He smiles at me. Slytherin in the snake house for a reason. 

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learned should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, pure-bloods." She explains. I roll eyes. Slytherin reminds me of the Nazi vampire that killed my mom. Greta.

"Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle. Known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it. Until the time that his own true Heir returned to the school." Heir?

"The Heir alone would be able to open the Chamber, and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy  to study magic." She tells us. This guy sounds like a douche. "Muggle-borns." Hermione says. 

I hear the sadness in her voice. "Naturally the school has been searched many times. No such chamber has been found." She informs us. "Professor? What exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?" Hermione asks. 

"The Chamber is said to be home to something that only the Heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home of a monster." She says. With that the topic is dropped and we get on with calss. When class is over Harry, Hermione, Ron, and I rush off to our next class of the day. 

Ron is spooked though. I get why. They've had to deal with Quirrell which was bad enough, but they've never faced the monsters I have. Vampires, werewolves, evil witches. It's all foreign to them. I've been dealing with them since I was born. 

"Do you think it's true? Do you really think there is a Chamber of Secrets?" Ron asks. "Yes. Couldn't you tell? McGonagall's worried, all the teachers are." Hermione explains to him. "If there really is a Chamber of Secrets, and it has been opened, that means-"

"The Heir of Slytherin has returned to Hogwarts. The question is, who is it." I say. "Let's think. Who do we know who thinks all muggle-borns are scum?" Ron asks. I roll my eyes. He can't honestly be jumping to conclusions again. 

"We can't just blame Malfoy. As much as I want to, we can't. We made the mistake of accusing Snape last year with no evidence. Quirrell surprised us, we can't afford to be surprised by the Heir." I say. 

"Maybe Ron's right Hope. Think about it. Look at his family. The whole lot of them have been in Slytherin for centuries." Harry says. "I bet you Crabb and Goyal know. Maybe we can trick them into telling." Ron says. I roll my eyes. "Even they aren't that stupid." I say. Hermione nods. 

"But there might be another way. Mind you, it would be difficult. Not to mention we would be breaking about fifty school rules. And it'll be dangerous. Very dangerous." Hermione says. I sigh. "What did you have in mind?" I ask. She smirks and leads us to the library. 

When we get there she rushes off the go find the book she's searching for. She returns within 15 minutes of leaving. "Here it is, the Polyjuice Potion. Properly brewed, the Polyjuice Potion allows the drinker to transform himself temporarily into the physical form of another." She reads.

"You mean if Harry and I drink that stuff we'll transform into Crabb and Goyal?" Ron asks. "Yes." "Wicked. Malfoy would tell us anything." "Exactly, but it's tricky. I've never seen a more complicated potion." Hermione explains. "How long?" I ask. "A month." 

"A month?" Harry asks, upset. I take the book and scan the pages. Not too complicated. I've seen my Aunt Freya make millions of potions. "I'll help you. Besides, you'll need someone to get you the supplies. I can use my invisibility spell to sneak me in and out of Snape's store room." I say. 

She nods. "Good idea. Maybe less than a month." She tells Harry. "You sure you're up for this?" I ask, knowing that breaking the rules doesn't sit well with her. She nods. "Let's do this." She says. "Well ok then, we have a potion to brew."