Chapter 6: I'd Rather Not See My Worst Fear, but Thanks for the Offer

Hope's POV:

A week after I found out about Lupin being a werewolf my friends and I are in Defense Against the Dark Arts, standing in front of a shaking wardrobe. What the hell is in that thing? "Anyone want to venture a guess as to what is inside?" Lupin asks. "That's a boggart sir." Someone says.

"Very good. Now, can anybody tell me what a boggart looks like?" "No one knows. Boggarts are shapeshifters. They appear as whatever a particular person fears the most." Hermione says. "When did she get here?" Ron asks Harry and I. We just shrug. She's been doing that a lot lately.

Just randomly appearing in class, but then acting like she walked there with us when I know for a fact she didn't. "That's what makes them so terrifying, yes. Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. Let's practice it now. Without wands please." Lupin says.

A boggart is what you fear the most? Yeah, I think I'll sit this lesson out thank you very much. "Now, after me, Ridiculous." He says. We repeat. "Good, one more time. Ridiculous." Again we repeat the word. "This class is ridiculous." Malfoy mutters behind me. I roll my eyes.

He's such an ass. "Very good, so much for the easy part. Now the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume the shape you find truly amusing. Allow me to explain. Neville, could you join me?" Lupin asks.

The boy looks terrified, but walks to the front of the classroom. I give him a soft smile when he passes. "Neville, what frightens you most of all?" Lupin asks. "Professor Snape." I smile at this. I personally believe Snape is out to permanently scar the boy.

"Yes, he frightens all. And I believe you live with your grandmother." "Yes, but I don't want it to turn into her either." Neville says. "No, no, of course not. Now, I want you to picture her clothes, only her clothes, very clearly in your mind." "She carries a red handbag."

"We don't need to hear. As long as you see it, we'll see it." He reminds the boy. Neville nods. "Now, when I open that wardrobe, here's what I want you to do." He says. He walks over and whispers something in Neville's ear. "Can you do that?" He asks him when he's done.

Neville nods again, this time, a bit more hesitant. "Wands at the ready! One, two three." He says. He flicks his want and the door to the wardrobe opens and out steps Snape. Neville stands there, petrified. "Think Neville, think." Lupin tells him. "Ridiculous!" Neville yells.

Suddenly Snape is standing there in what appears to be Neville's gran's clothes. Red handbag and all. Everyone starts laughing. "Wonderful Neville now, to the back, everyone form a line." He instructs. Everyone in the classroom rushes to do what the professor says except for me.

"Hope. are you going to get in line?" Harry asks. "I'd rather not see my worst fear, but thanks for the offer." I say. He nods and gets into line. I go to where I'm right in front of Neville. If I'm going to do this then I'm going to give myself the last possibility of doing it.

A few people go by with fears such as snakes, or in Ron's case, spiders, and they all turn them into something funny. Then it's Harry's turn. He gets up there and I grow worried about what I'm about to seee. Suddenly the boggart turns into a dementor.

Lupin jumps in front fo Harry and the boggart changes again to a full moon. Lupin hesitates. "Ridiculous." He says. The moon turns into a balloon and flies back into the wardrobe which Lupin locks. "Alright, that's enough for today, class dismissed." He tells everyone.

Some people groan in annoyance before exiting the room. I grab my things and wait for Harry and Ron outside the classroom. Hermione has probably already taken off for her next class period.

When Harry and Ron come out they're both grinning like idiots, which they are, but you know, who's counting. "Finally." Oh shut up Hope." Ron grumbles. I just smirk. Suddenly Harry has a look of thought on his face. "Hey Ron, why don't you head off, we'll catch up." I tell him.

He nods and walks off while I pull Harry to a stop. "What's wrong?" I ask. "Nothing." I give him a look that says I don't believe him. He sighs. "I'm just wondering why he stopped me from facing the boggart." He says. I sigh and take him hand, continuing our walk towards our next class.

"I don't know why Lupin does a lot of things Harry, I don't know the man that well, but from what I could tell, he might have thought that you might see something worse than a dementor." His brows furrow in confusion.

"You've been through a lot Harry, sometimes fears are more than just pesky things that slither or crawl on eight legs. Sometimes it's something truly horrifying. Why do you think I didn't want to see my worse fear?" I ask. "What is your worse fear?" He asks me.

I stop once more. "I have two. The first, disappointing my family and ruining my family's legacy. The second, my loved ones dying or leaving me. I've lost a lot Harry, you have too. It's hard to not be terrified that someone will be stripped away from you again." I say.

He nods and squeezes the hand that is still holding his. "Don't worry Hope, I'm here for you. I will always be here for you." He says. I smile thankfully and pull him into a hug. "Now, come on, class is about to start and I'm pretty sure Professor Flitwick won't let it slip by like last time."

I'm referring to the time we ran into class five minutes late, covered in goop from head to toe due to a prank Peeves the Poltergeist set. He grins and nods. With that the two of us take off down the hallway.