Chapter 19: Firebolts and Lakeside Conversations

Hope's POV:

The next day Harry and I head to Lupin's classroom to talk to him. We get to his office and go to knock when he speaks. "Hello Harry, Hope." We look at him questioningly. He turns and points to the map. "I saw you coming." He says. We nod. 

"I've looked worse, believe me." He tells us, meaning last night. "Sorry about the scratches." I say, sheepishly. "Don't worry about it." He tells me with a smile. We then see he's packing. "You've been sacked." Harry says. "No. I resigned actually." "Resigned? Why?" I ask, shocked. 

"Well, it seems somebody let slip the nature of my condition. This time tomorrow the owls will start arriving and parents will not want a, um, well, someone like me teaching their children." "But Dumbledore-" Lupin cuts Harry off. 

"Dumbledore has already risked enough on my behalf. Besides, people like me are, well, let's just say I'm used to it by now." He says. I look at him sadly. "Harry, why do you look so miserable?" He asks him. "None of it made any difference. Pettigrew escaped." 

"Didn't make any difference? Harry, it made all the difference in the world. You helped uncover the truth, you saved an innocent man from a terrible fate. It made a great deal of difference. If I am proud of anything, it is of how much you have learned this year." He says. 

I see Harry smile at this. Now, since I am no longer your teacher, I feel no guilt whatsoever by giving this back to you." He says, pointing to the Marauders Map. "So now I'll say goodbye Harry. Goodbye Hope. I feel sure we'll meet again sometime. Until then, mischief managed." He says.

The map closes up. With that Lupin exits the office. I turn to Harry who looks very upset. I pull him into a hug. "Don't worry Harry, like he said, you'll see him again." He nods and squeezes me tightly before letting go. I grin at him. 

"Come on, time for lunch. I'm starving." He chuckles a little bit and allows me to drag him out of the office, after he grabs the map, and to the Great Hall. When we get there Neville and Seamus run up to us. "Harry, Hope, wherever did you get them?" Neville asks. I look at him confused. 

"Can I have a go? After you guys of course." Seamus says. What? We make our way to Ron who is leaning on his crutch. "What are you two talking about?" I ask. "Quiet. The them through." Ron says. He then looks sheepishly at the two of us. 

"I didn't mean to open it guys, they were badly wrapped, and they made me do it." He says, pointing to the twins. "Did not." They say in unison. There is one large package with two item inside. When we pull back the wrapping there are two brooms. "They're Firebolts." Fred says. 

"Fastest broom in the world." George clarifies. "For us? But who sent them?" Harry asks. "Don't know, but they came with this." Hermione says, holding up a feather that could only belong to a Hippogriff. I grin at Harry. We both grab a broom and race out to the courtyard. 

When we climb on I can practically feel the power in it. I grin and the two of us kick off from the ground. The speed is unlike anything I've ever felt. I can hear Harry let out whoops of joy. Finally I come to a stand still, over looking the castle grounds. It's beautiful up here. 

Harry comes to a stop next to me. The smile on his face is the biggest I've ever seen. "Why would he get me one?" I ask, still trying to figure it out. He shrugs. "Don't know, a thank you perhaps." He says. I nod. Maybe. But something is echoing in the back of my mind. 

Something Pettigrew said. 'Beautiful girl, you're a loyal friend, just like Lily, you remind me so much of Lily. You and Harry are-' I wonder how he was going to finish that sentence. Maybe it wasn't just Pettigrew who saw a little bit of Lily Potter in me.

Who knows, maybe I'm just overthinking it and Harry's right, it is just a thank you. Then again, as I look over at Harry who is grinning like it's the best day of his life, maybe the thank you isn't just for saving him. Oh well, who knows. 

After our short flight we go back to the ground where tons of people are asking to fly the brooms. We let a few of the trusted ones but after that we head back to the Great Hall. After lunch we basically have a free day. The two of us head down to the lake. 

Hermione opted to stay with Ron who couldn't make it down there. As we sit there we don't talk. We just enjoy each other's company. "Do you eve think we'll have a normal year here?" Harry asks me. I shake my head. 

"No, I don't, but I don't want one. Normal is boring. It may be safer, but I'd take risky over boring any day." I say. "Really?" I nod. "Why?" He asks, staring at me curiously. I smile at his obliviousness. 

"Because boring doesn't sit right with me, and boring would also mean we aren't in each other's lives. I wouldn't trade my friendship with you for anything." I say. He grins and wraps an arm around me. "I wouldn't either, not for anything." This makes me smile as well. "Hope?" 

"Yeah." "Promise me something." "What?" "Promise no more secrets?" He asks. I nod. "No more secrets." He smiles at me and we go back to watching the lake. It's one of the few peaceful days we've ever had together. I smile softly as I lay my head on his shoulder. 

It's moments like these that I will remember forever, no matter what dimension I'm in, and I couldn't be more grateful.