Chapter 13: Finally

Hope's POV:

After Snape's revelation he swiftly leaves the room to talk to Dumbledore, leaving Harry and I alone for the first time since I caught him and Cho kissing. There's silence for a solid minute before I decide to break the silence. "So-" "Hope-" We both laugh at this. I nod for him to go first. 

"Did you know?" He asks, eyes meeting mine. "Which part?" "That we were soulmate?" "No. I knew that I had one. That's how I got to this world. Remember the spell I mentioned that sent me here? The one I was using to try and contact my parents?" I ask him. He nods. 

"Well, it said it was a spell to find what my heart most desires. I thought that since I really wanted to find my parents, the spell would either show me them or take me to them. It was really a soulmate spell." "Why didn't you tell us that you were here to find your soulmate?" 

"It wasn't something I thought I needed to share until I found him or her. I thought it would be an instant connection, but out wasn't. It was gradual. I suspected it was you a few times in the past few years, but since it didn't happen how I expected, I didn't think anything of it."

"So you did think it was me? What made you think that if you were expecting a different feeling?    If you suspected something, why didn't you ever tell me?" I sigh and run my hands through my hair while pacing, tired of how oblivious he is.  

"God, you really are thick Harry. How could you possibly not see that I've been basically in love with you since third year? I mean, I didn't hide it. After everything that happened at the Yule Ball last year, I thought you would have caught on. Then again, you've only had eyes for Cho." 

He flushes red. "Look, I get that you like her, and that's fine. Honestly, but you have to tell me if there's even a small chance that you feel that same because if there isn't I need to know. You may be my soulmate, but I don't know if you feel the pull like I do." 

"I may not have caught on to you feelings Hope, but you are blind as well." "What do you mean?" "All last year, everything that happened. From the start of the year to..." He trails off, which I appreciate. I don't need to be taken back to that graveyard ever again. 

"Anyway, I was jealous. Not just because I thought I would lose you as a friend, but because I thought I'd lose my chance with you altogether and I hated myself for not acting quicker." I look down at his words, remember the conversation after the ball in the Common Room. 

"By the time I was going to talk to you about everything, it was the third task, and after...I couldn't do that to you." I nod. I did need time to myself after Cedric died. "What about Cho? I know you care about her. I mean, you wouldn't have kissed her if you didn't." 

"I thought I liked Cho, but I've thought more about how you've been ignoring me than that kiss since then. Yeah, she's pretty, but she isn't you." My heart leaps at his words. I've wanted to hear him say this since third year, and now that he is...I don't know what to think. 

There's silence for a while. It's tense, something I've never really experienced with Harry before. "Please say something." He finally says. "What do you want me to say?" "I don't know, anything. This silence is killing me because this isn't us. We don't have awkward silence or tension."

He's got a point there. "I don't know what to say. I've been waiting to hear you say those words for me for three years now, and now that you've said that, I can't help but think, where do we go from here?" 

"I don't know. I really don't, but do need to know where we stand. Where do we stand Harry?" More silence. This is killing me. I sigh. "You know what, it's late. We can talk more in the morning. Come o-" I'm cut off when I go to walk towards the stairs that lead out of the dungeon. 

Harry grabs my hand as I go to leave and pulls me back. I stumble until I steady myself by placing my hands on his chest. I'm really close to him now. I look up and our faces are inches apart. 

"We stand wherever you want us to stand. It's your move." He whispers, looking straight into my eyes. I feel my heart rate pick up. Is this really happening? A few seconds go by, him waiting for me to do something and me internally panicking and simultaneously freaking out. 

A flash of worry crosses his face, like he doesn't know if he made the right choice to put us in this position. That snaps me out of my shock. My hands grip the front of his shirt as I pull him down and connect my lips with his. His response is instant as his lips move against mine perfectly. 

There are no sparks, no butterflies, nothing. Well, there's the feeling that this is exactly where I want to be in this moment. It's the feeling that makes me think that this is exactly how I want to end each day and wake up each morning. 

It's the feeling of wholeness, a feeling that I haven't felt since my dad left when I was seven. The kiss is short and sweet, but it feels like it's never going to end. When we pull away I smile up at him and he smiles down at me. The silence between us is no longer awkward. 

It's comfortable, the way it should and always has been for us. I finally found my purpose for being in this world and for once I'm not worried about how I'm going to get home. I've found a home here. I found my soulmate. Finally.