Chapter 2: The Dementors

Hope's POV:

When I come around, it's to someone shaking me and calling my name. I open my eyes to see that Harry is that someone. "You ok?" He asks, concerned. I groan and nod, sitting up in my seat. "What happened? What was that thing?" I ask, suddenly remembering the creature. 

"Here, eat this, it's help." I look to see that the Professor, Lupin, is awake and extending chocolate towards me. I nod and take it cautiously from him. "What was that thing?" I ask again, hoping to get some answers. 

"It was a dementor, one of the guards of Azkaban. They were searching the train for Sirius Black. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have a little word with the driver." Lupin says, getting up and exiting the compartment. "What happened to me?" Harry asks. "Yeah." I state. 

"Well, you both sort of went rigid, we thought you were having a fit or something." Ron says. "And did either of you two, you know..." Harry trails off. Hermione shakes her head. "Who screamed?" "No one was screaming Harry." Hermione says. 

"I think that was a side effect of the dementor. I heard my parents calling out for me. It was horrible." I confess. They all look at me. Harry pulls me into his side, hugging me tight. No one says anything after that. We just ride the rest of the way to Hogwarts in silence. 

When we get there we take the carriages to the school

When we get there we take the carriages to the school. I don't say anything to my friends, but instead of the carriage pulling itself like they think, I see the actual creatures. I've done a little research. They're called Thestrals and they can only be seen by people who have seen death. 

I saw my mother die so I can see them. When we get to the school we are greeted with a song from a few older students and some frogs. I don't know what the giant frogs are for though. When they are done we all clap and Dumbledore comes to his podium. 

"Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Now, I would like to say a few words before we all become to befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin. He has kindly agreed to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." 

"Of course, that's why he knew to give you two the chocolate." Hermione realizes. "Potter, Mikaelson." I hear behind Harry and I. We turn to see Malfoy calling to us. "Is it true you two fainted? I mean, actually fainted?" He asks. I glare. 

"Why don't you turn around and leave us alone before I make you faint with a little force." I growl. That shuts him up and he turns around. Harry grins at me. "Thanks, that was brilliant." He says. I just shrug. 

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately I am happy to announce that his place will be taken than none other than our own Rubis Hagrid." I grin and clap as he stands up, accidentally shifting the table. 

"Finally on a more serious note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, be host to the Dementors of Azkaban, until such a time as Sirius Black is captured. The dementors will be stationed on every entrance to the grounds." 

People start muttering. "Now, whilst I've been assured that the dementors will not disrupt our day to day activities, a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way." Perfect. 

"Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you, give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of the dementor to be forgiving. Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." 

After his speech the food appears, but I am no longer in the mood to eat. The creatures that made me hear my parents terrified cries are going to be on the same campus as me. I don't like the thought of that. "Hope, are you alright?" Hermione asks. I give her a small smile and nod. 

"I'm fine, I'm just not hungry." I say, trying to reassure her. She nods, not looking very convinced before going back to her conversation with Ron which quickly turns into an argument. "Hey." I turn to look at Harry. "What?" "You sure you're ok?" He asks. "Can we not talk about this now?" 

He nods, looking worried. He lets it go though and goes back to his food. Dinner is awkward and finally we head to our Common Room. When we get there however, there is a slight issue. The Fat Lady won't let anyone in because she is attempting break a glass with her voice. 

"Fortuna Major." Harry tries. No luck. "One moment, one moment." She then proceeds to scream loudly and break the glass on the wall behind her. "Amazing, jus with my voice." She says, trying to play it off. "Fortune Major." Harry says again. She just rolls her eyes. "Alright, go in." 

She opens up and everyone else goes up to the dormitories while Harry and I stay in the Common Room. Hermione and Ron look like they're going to stay, but with one look from Harry and I they head up to our rooms. Harry and I sit on the couches in from of a fire. 

"What's going on with you?" He asks. "I just don't like that fact that the creatures responsible for making me hear my parents anguished cries are going to be our new security. You don't understand how much that sound effected me." I say. He nods and pulls me into his side. 

I lay my head on his shoulder and close my eyes, relaxing. "I know I don't, and I'm sorry I can't help." "Don't be, you haven't done anything wrong." I say. I fell him nod. "I don't want you to worry, as long as I'm around the dementors won't get a chance to make you feel that again." 

I smile. "Thank you Harry, really." We sit in silence a little longer, just enjoying being in each other's company after a whole summer apart. I smile to myself. I've missed this. Our late night conversations. I've missed him. He's become a rock for me. 

Something to hold onto when I'm homesick. I don't know what I would do without him. I only hope that I never have to know.