Chapter 6: Pathetically Dimwitted

Hope's POV:

Soon class is over and the four of us head out of the room. "Brilliant isn't he. Completely demented, of course, and terrifying to be in the same room with...but he's really been there. You know? He's looked evil in the eye."

"Hate to break it to you Ron, but so have we. Besides. He had no right to show us those. Especially how he made Neville watch so closely. That was cruel." I tell him. "There's a reason those curses are unforgivable." Hermione agrees, angry.

"How did you stand up to him Hope? I don't think I'd have the courage to do that." Ron tells me. "Someone needed to call him and, and where I'm from, I've face worse than the likes of him." I explain. I then see Neville and walk up to him. "Neville?" I ask softly.

Then I am shoved by Moody. I fall backwards only to be caught by Harry. I blush. "Thanks. He nods and helps me stand upright. "Son? You alright/ Come on. We'll have a cup of tea. I want to show you something." With that Moody and Neville disappear into Moody's office.

We continue our decent. Hermione and Ron walk in front of us, arguing about something stupid while Harry and I trail behind. "Hey, you ok? I know that last one got to you." He nods, sending me a reassuring smile. "I'm fine, really." I give him an unbelieving look.

"Honestly, come on. We should get to Transfiguration." He says, grabbing my hand. I nod, the blush deepening on my face as I let him lead me towards McGonagall's room. As the days go by more and more people start placing their names in the Goblet.

I can tell Harry's glad he can't enter so that no one can pressure him into joining. I know we all just want a normal year for once. Right now Hermione and I are looking over notes in the Great Hall while Harry and Ron watch people put their names into the Goblet.

One time when I look up I see Cedric's friend's push him past the age line Dumbledore set up. He grins at them before turning to look at me. He winks before putting his name in and going back to his friends. Hermione elbows me. "What was that all about?" She asks, smiling. "Nothing."

She raises an unbelieving eyebrow. "Serious, it was nothing. Cedric's a friend." I tell her. She still doesn't look like she believes me. I just shake my head and go back to my notes. Suddenly she elbows me again. "What?" I ask.

She points her hand discretely over to where Harry and Ron are standing. I look to see Harry's eyes flashing from Cedric to me over and over again. He looks a bit angry. He then catches me looking and ducks his head down. "He's totally jealous." She whispers to me.

"Yeah right. He just sees us as friends Mione." "Oh please tell me that you actually see that a lot of the guys here fancy you." She begs. I shake my head. "Oh I see them, but Harry and Cedric are just friends. They don't like me like that."

"Hope, you're incredibly smart, but you're also a bit thick at times." I roll my eyes and finally get back to my notes. I swear her comments over my love life will be the death of me. The next time I look up, I grin. Fred and George run into the hall each holding a vile.

"Yes!! Thank you. Thank you." They both called as everyone started to applaud them. "Well lads, we've done it." "Cooked it up just this morning ." "It's not going to work." Hermione tells them in a sing song voice. I hold back a laugh. "Oh yeah?" "And why is that Granger?"

"You see this? This is an age line. Dumbledore drew it himself." "So." "Ugh, so a genius like Dumbledore couldn't possibly be fooled by a dodge as pathetically dimwitted as an aging potion." I explain to them. "That's why it's so brilliant."

"Because it's so pathetically dimwitted." George teases. They stand on the bench we're sitting on. "Ready Fred?" "Ready George." "Bottoms up." They say together, drinking the potion. They then proceed to jump over the age line. "Yeah!" They yell.

Suddenly light flares out from the Goblet and sends them flying backwards. When the light fades they're both old men. "You said-" "YOU said!" They then start trying to tackle each other, rolling around on the ground while everyone else just stands by and watches.

Suddenly Ron is by my side. "Hey Hope, you know, technically you're supposed to be 19, maybe you could still enter." He urges, a grin on his face. I roll my eyes. He can't be serious right now. Honestly, he really should start thinking before speaking.

"Nope, not going to happen. Sorry. I don't want either eternal glory or the opportunity to get myself killed. Sorry Ron. Come on Hermione. I need something from the library." I tell her. She nods, gather her things as well. With that the two of us are gone.

We spend the rest of the day in the library undisturbed. I even mastered a new spell, a summoning charm. Right now we're walking back to the Common Room. "Would you consider it?" Hermione asks me. "Huh?"

"Would you consider putting your name in the Goblet?" She rephrases. I shake my head immediately. "Absolutely not. I have no desire to be apart of that tournament. Besides, what if there's a task and I lose my wand, I'd have to reveal myself to the entire Wizarding World."

She nods. "I don't particularly want to do that. I just want a normal year for once." "Me too, though something tells me we're not going to get what we want." I laugh. "I know the feeling. It's like bad luck is attracted to us or something."

"Well we are best friends with the Boy Who Lived." "Our first mistake." We laugh and continue our trek to Gryffindor Tower.