Captain Jean-Luc Picard

A/n: Mentions of a panic attack in some detail, the reader has a bad fear of failure. there is also a bit of language.
Please don't read if that is a trigger for you.

I rocked back and forth in my room, tears streaming down my face as my second panic attack of the day set in.
The first happened this morning, during what is the equivalent of starfleet gym class the teacher announced we would be doing old earth baseball.
Which shouldn't be too frightening to anybody.
Wrong.
Among my friends which were few and far between I was considered the artist, not the athlete.
I wanted to join starfleet as a linguist, it makes sense why they need all of us in top physical condition but the embarrassment of not meeting up to the standards of my peers seemed totally unnecessary.
One of those few friends happened to be Jean-Luc Picard.
He was the cocky, popular kid who was probably only friends with me out of pity.
Regardless he held my sweating hand as we were all ushered outside.
Ever since I was a kid, I had a paralysing fear of failure especially in front of people so things like this struck fear deep in my being.
Jean-luc walked over to the teacher, they whispered between each other and then Jean-luc grabbed my hand once again and sat down, huffing in anger.
"Ugh why won't she listen to me, my best-friend is having a panic attack and she cares more about some stupid baseball"
Jean-Luc's hand found mine again and I smiled weakly and he returned it.
"Alright come on!"
I got hauled to my feet by the teacher, the only hated teacher on campus was this guy.
Suddenly it felt like everyone's voices was negative shouting in my ears, like everyone had turned and was making fun to their friends.
My heart pounded in my ears and I missed, shouting became screaming.
My arms felt like jelly as I missed, screaming turned into my ears ringing.
Ringing becoming collapse and the world went black before I could feel myself fall.

2 hours later

When I awoke I was greeted by the concerned faces of my fellow classmates.
"Y/n? You're Never going to guess what's happening"
A friend of mine, Annie grabbed my shoulder
I raised my eyebrow at her as I sat up, an ice pack pressing against my forehead.
"Their going to fire that stupid teacher, Jean-Luc is up there right now explaining what happened"
I smiled so much it hurt, all of them had gathered around cheering and so excited.
In truth everyone lied about liking that class, everyone hated it and everyone pretty much congratulated me for getting him fired.
This panic attack is happening because in the evening I was hanging out with Jean-Luc, a ritual we shared when both of our days were over.
Everything was fine up until some of the other popular kids, who knew Jean-Luc came over and purposely shoved me out of the way.
Most of the time we were all pretty civil, but some of us were clearly never going to be kind.
This group in particular was one of those, they all came from decorated star fleet families.
Most of them believed they were going to be the best of the best by not doing anything, their parent filled them with Vain, arrogant thoughts.
One of them continued to shove me down, whispered horrible names at me. I was crawling back trying to run but he kept going, until I was able to kick him in the crotch and run.
I ran up the stairs in a panic, I couldn't tell if I was being followed or not so until my door was locked I wasn't going to look.
Now I was sat in my bed crying until a knock at my door pulled me away from my thoughts
"Who is it?"
I asked, cursing at the way my voice cracked.
"It's Jean-luc"
I opened the door and he walked a few steps into the doorway
"I'm sorry y/n, I don't know what got into them"
I nodded, totally unsure what to do with my hands.
"Your nose is bleeding?"
I asked, only because I could see blood on the towel he was wiping his nose with.
"That bastard only wanted a fight, maybe I gave him one"
I smiled before dragging him into my room, I grabbed some stuff from my bathroom and started to clean up his nose and his hands.
"Hey you're bleeding too"
He reached up and brushed his fingers against my forehead.
I didn't even realise I was bleeding at all, the stress of the situation had distracted me from the now stinging pain in my head.
"I'll be fine.."
I brushed him off and continued cleaning up his hand.
He stopped me, and gently held my hands together as he used his other to clean my forehead.
He leaned forward and pressed a kiss against my forehead, his hand went from my hands to my cheek and he moved down pressing his lips against mine.
It was a quick kiss, but certainly passionate we each let out our pent up frustrations from today on each other.
He rested his forehead against mine, his eyes closed and a sweet smile resting on his features.

A little more than 20 years later.
2nd person POV

Jean-luc sat alone in his quarters, thumbing through an old book when a picture fell to the ground.
He picked up but was interrupted by a knock on the door.
"Come in"
He snapped at the door, he knew what was on the picture and wasn't sure he wanted to keep looking.
Deanna Troi quietly slipped into the room and sat down in front of him.
They talked for a few minutes, but it took Deanna seconds to know that Jean-luc was distracted.
"Who is the girl in the picture?"
He flicked his eyes down to the picture
"Lieutenant Y/n L/n, she's my wife"
"What happened to her?"
Deanna asked hesitantly, she felt an extreme surge in his emotions when she asked that question.
"She was forced into retirement early, starfleet thought she made the wrong decisions saving her whole crew. She chose to stay on earth, I've been missing her a lot lately"
They spoke for a few more minutes, just wrapping up a little lose ends.
The second the door shut however Jean-Luc immediately got up and went to the corner of the room.
He lifted up a box and opened it, sliding the other picture in with all of the other Knick-nacks.
In this little box he kept all of his little mementos of you, he keeps them their to keep them hidden so he doesn't have to admit the truth.
A year previously, you'd gotten very sick, so sick that currently you were in a hospital bed alone looking over a similar box of mementos of him.
In truth he knew it would've happened eventually, you'd always been getting sicker since the day you set foot on a starship.
That filled Jean-Luc with such resentment, ever since that moment in the academy, that wonderful kiss he wanted to do nothing more than be by your side, something he wasn't permitted to do.
Eventually he shut the box, and set it down in amongst the clutter on his shelf.
Back to Business as usual.