Lieutenant Commander Data

"Y/n, may I speak to you?"
I nodded to Data as I closed the page in my book
"Something troubling you?"
"No, I wish to ask your permission to read some of your books, you have one of the largest paper book library dating back to the 1960s"
"Of course you can, I trust you to take good care of them that's all I ask"
I nodded taking in the vastness of my library I stood up leading him to first bookcase and climbing up the staircase reaching for my oldest book. The spine had blackened from age
"This was the first book That was given to my great, great, great, great grandmother from her husband."
I spoke as I slid down the ladder gingerly placing the book in his hands he took it and examined it closely
"Y/n, are you sure you should be loaning this to me, this has a high meaning of value to you I do not want to hurt your feelings by damaging it"
"Data, you were my first friend in the academy you have been there for me so many times loaning this book to you is not a problem"
I gently squeezed his hands and gave him a reassuring nod before he walked out of the room satisfied with this explanation.
The second I was sure the door closed I let out a sigh
"Why did I have to fall in love with an emotionless android" I hit my head on the table a few times before picking up my book and trying to refocus on it.
And for the next couple of days that's how it went
Data would come in tell me he finished the book and asked permission to read another.
I gave him book after book finding that each book came back to me in almost better condition then when I gave it to him.
After a while Data stopped coming in all together and I sat there waiting for hours and he still did not show up I felt tears slid down my cheeks slowly
Everyone had left me because I was to weird and now Data was doing the same. I tried to pull myself together when I heard my door chime
"Hold on one second"
I rubbed my eyes and tried to not look like I had been crying
"Y/n I am sorry for coming so late I have an urgent issue"
"It's no bother, so what book would you like now"
I asked taking the book he finished out of his hands
"Y/n I am not here to ask for another book, I am here to ask for your advise"
I nodded for him to continue
"Y/n, there is this girl on board, I think she would like to be more than friends when I think about the possibility of being with her she does not affect me in a similar way to someone else when I'm with this other girl everything changes for instance when I'm with her I don't want to leave her"
he stopped when his comm Badge beeped
"Riker to Commander Data report to the bridge immediately"
"May we continue this conversation later?"
I nodded with my hand over my mouth stiffing sobs. He left quickly and it was like he was carrying my heart with him.
The door sealed shut and I let out the loudest sob breaking down on my hands and knees.
"Y/n?"
Maybe the door didn't shut all the way because Data was suddenly at my side. His hands pulled me up and I buried my face in his neck.
He pulled me into his lap and brushed through my hair with his fingers doing the most to calm me down.
Slowly my loud sobs became quiet sniffles and tears stopped falling
"Y/n, what has caused this sudden disturbance of your emotions?"
I knew in the back of my head this was now or never so as I brushed the tears away from my face I opened my mouth to speak but when nothing came about but an
"I.. I"
I hugged him tightly and he returned the action
"Data, I love you" my voice cracked as he pulled me back looking me in the eyes
"Y/n the girl I was talking about before was you, I have already read most of the books I asked you for. I just wanted an excuse to keep seeing you"
I smiled as I rubbed my eyes feeling a bit silly for all this commotion Data leaned forward and connected his lips with mine.
We did not know that on the bridge the main crew were watching this play out. Will having only called Data to work on their plan to get us to together.
"Number 1, i think you owe me quite a big sum of money"