Lieutenant Commander Data

"MAMA!"
I ran out the door into the lawn where my son, and data sat together, Data was helping with his math work.
"Are you okay, are you hurt?"
I slid down on my knees cradling his head
"My brain hurts"
His lisp came through heavy, as he sat back up I sighed
"Ooh"
I got back up and left the boys to their antics, my heart melting at the sight as I did the dishes, since we were on shore leave Data being the ever so helpful best friend he is, asked if he could attempt to tutor Cassian. Especially since his father had been gone, Data had been spending a lot of time with us he would never admit to it but after a while I began to think that Data wanted to fulfill the position as Cassians father. As much as I cared for Data as my friend, I knew there were somethings Data just couldn't quite do as easily as his father.
"Mama? Is dad back yet?"
I felt my heart get very heavy at the subject,
"Your dad is still out there being very brave"
I pointed up to the sky, picking him up and resting him against my hip.
"Why's he have to take so long?"
For a brief moment my thoughts turned to what he could actually be doing, probably he was in his battle shuttle trying to fight off someone like he always was.
"Sometimes when your doing what he does, it takes a little longer than usual because.. it's like a present, you have to make sure everything is wrapped up nicely and he can't just abandon them without wrapping up the presents"
He clearly didn't understand what I said, so I very quickly gave up on that opting to put him by the table.
"I have to go meet with Will, May I come back tomorrow?"
Data came in just a few seconds later, all of his supplies in hand
"Of course data"
He said his goodbyes, much to the protest of cass
"I wish dad were here, then I could show him all the new stuff data taught me"
I smiled, I tried to smile up at him despite the fact that I couldn't tell my son his father was coming home.

1 WEEK LATER

As I tucked Cass in for his nap, I was about to go to my post when my comm badge beeped, it was data telling me to get to the bridge.
"What's wrong mama?"
He asked, curious as ever
"Nothing sweetie, just go back to sleep"
He tucked himself back down, and I went to the bridge slowly jogging, trying not to draw to much attention to myself.
When I came through the door, 4 aliens stood in front of me, they all looked like dark, red squids with purple eyes.
"Y/n L/n?"
The first one asked, he looked like the leader, he wore the most expensive looking items.
"Just wait a minute"
The captain bounded up the steps, reaching his arms out to try and stop them.
"I'm sorry, but your husband died heroically last.."
My ears began to ring as a bed, with a covered body passed by me stopping next to my knee, I held my breath as one of them lifted the sheet up, part of me some how hoping that it was all a lie, that he would pull back the sheet and it wouldn't be my husband.
"NOOOO... no.. no" I screamed as his corpse was revealed, I couldn't think, as I practically collapsed next to the floating bed.
"No.. No" I didn't want to move as I felt Data gently trying to pull me away, I wanted to fight back and not leave his side but Data only held me in a tighter hug.
"We didn't mean to give her such distress, we only thought it best to return the body personally"
One of them and the captain spoke for a few more minutes but I couldn't careless as to listen.
Data helped me back to my quarters when I came in Cass was sitting on the floor waiting for me.
"What happened mama? Is dad home?"
He asked totally concerned, I looked back at Data who was looking between me and Cass
"This is a conversation you two should have alone" I shook my head no at him, he understood and stayed put only moving to instead pick up Cass and bring him to eye-level.
"Cass, your father isn't coming home"
That night the only person who wasn't crying was data, for obvious reasons. It took almost 3 hours to get Cass to go to bed now I felt like I couldn't move or bring myself to do anything the combination of today's events took it's toll like a tornado.
"Y/n?"
Data who had stayed with us the whole time, came into my room passing me a glass of water.
"Thank you data"
I took it out of his hand and let the feeling of cool water soothe my aching throat.
"Do you want me to stay for awhile? To make sure Cass is looked after"
Data draped his arm over my hip, pulling me closer to him, an action I didn't realize would be so comforting.
"I don't want to put that much on you data, I mean you still have to take care of your duties and so do I, oh god"
I couldn't finish as I started to cry again, setting my glass of water down data pulled me into a hug, petting the back of my head to calm me down.
"I will take a day off tomorrow, it would not tarnish my record in anyway"
I wanted to protest but I couldn't, all that would come out was a sobbing mess.
Once I had begun to calm down a loud cry erupted from Cass' room, I was about to get up before data gently shoved me back down.
"I'll look after him"
When he left I knew I could almost rest easy that night knowing I had Data, that somehow I still had my family.